View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 making all numbers bold before starting puzzles 

Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 6:12 am

Post making all numbers bold before starting puzzles
Hey, guys. I'd like to make my entered numbers bold, but it only makes them bold AFTER I complete the puzzle. I've tried clicking the bold on/off box, but it only makes that particular square bold or plain. This is frustrating me - any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 am

Post Re: making all numbers bold before starting puzzles
skeeter84 wrote:
Hey, guys. I'd like to make my entered numbers bold, but it only makes them bold AFTER I complete the puzzle. I've tried clicking the bold on/off box, but it only makes that particular square bold or plain. This is frustrating me - any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

Is this simply because you prefer the look of bold numbers (i.e. they are easier to see)?

Would you then use the "unbolded" state for numbers you are sure of, or maybe you don't use that feature?

Should the cell background also be green, or remain white?

Patrick

Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 4:55 pm

I definitely use bold as an aid in solving. I use it to denote cells I'm sure of, and I use the default when I've narrowed the possibilities down but I don't yet know the order. In fact, I like having to take the positive action of hitting the + key to make an entry bold. And I like that if I enter something else in a bold cell -whether on purpose or by accident - it returns to default. So my vote would be to keep the basic functionality as it is.

Could the bold/un-bold be an account setting, like email notification?

Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm

I would also like a "bold" application to be available for all the numbers I am sure of all at once instead of having to do each individual number.....is this possible?

Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 pm

beaker wrote:
I would also like a "bold" application to be available for all the numbers I am sure of all at once instead of having to do each individual number.....is this possible?

How would the computer know which numbers you are sure off?
[blink]

Although I'm thinking now: a function to bold all numbers entered so far?

Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Although I'm thinking now: a function to bold all numbers entered so far?[/quote]

That is what I meant.......ie: in an 8x8 puzzle, you get to the point where you are sure of all the numbers you have entered and now there happens to be 2 choices for the next cage.......it would be nice then if you could bold all the numbers you have and then proceed from there with your "best guess".

Last edited by beaker on Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Wed May 16, 2012 1:20 am

Hello again, guys. I would indeed like to have all bold numbers since they're easier to see. I just wanted to say thanks to pnm and to all of you fellow posters for your help. Have a nice day, guys. [smile]

Posted on: Wed May 16, 2012 4:23 am

I say add a function that turns bold on or off. Like, say we start with bold ON. Then whatever numbers you press will automatically be bold. It's like that until you turn it to bold OFF in which case all numbers will be normal.

Like how the CAPS LOCK key works...

Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]