View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:09 am



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 subscribe to the site! 
Author Message
Site Admin
User avatar

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 7:32 pm




Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm
 subscribe to the site!
Hello,

Some people suggested I put a "Paypal donate" button on the site, so people could
cover the cost of running it a bit. I always thought a subscription system would be
nicer: this way you get something in return for your donation :-)

A first version of the page where you can subscribe is up:
http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe

Everything should work already, subscriptions will starts June 1st.

If anything doesn't work as expected, as always: do let me know please.

thanks,

Patrick


Profile

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
calcpnm wrote:
Hello,

Some people suggested I put a "Paypal donate" button on the site, so people could
cover the cost of running it a bit. I always thought a subscription system would be
nicer: this way you get something in return for your donation :-)

A first version of the page where you can subscribe is up:
http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe

Everything should work already, subscriptions will starts June 1st.

If anything doesn't work as expected, as always: do let me know please.

thanks,

Patrick


First of all to comment that I like much the novelty [thumbsup], since it's optional, like solving the actual book puzzles ... , and you also provide the possibility of testing the "membership satisfaction" for a month ... . Anyway, I have a few doubts.

What would be the points for each extra puzzle each day of the week?, in accordance to the actual scheme (i.e., 14 points for the 10x10, ... )? because, for instance, it looks like the 7x7 with neg numbers (-3 to -3) would probably be of a much higher difficulty.

When you say there is no limit of time you are meaning that one can send a solution during, let' say, a month, which is the extended calendar for the "premium users"?.

Will the extra puzzles appear in the main page ("extra puzzle link" and, in my opinion, this would probably be the best, that is, with the same characteristics, "show coordinates", "save for later", "continuous error checking", "solver rating", etc.) or you will be driven to a different page like in the case of the book puzzles?.

When subscribing (with the book) will you send the book directly to the e-mail or one will be redirected to the page of lulu.com? (this is just a curiosity).

And I assume that the length of the subscription will be measured from date to date, i.e., June 01, 2012 thru May 31, 2013 or July 19, 2012 thru August 18, 2013, is this right?.

The period of time, could be selected at the moment of the subscription?, in other words, could a puzzler, subscribe let's say now for September 2012, for instance?.

Apologize for so many questions.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 10:46 pm




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
I have the same questions as clm.

What would the options be in case one would like to cancel the subscription in future? I also notice that it is the same - $19.95 for the 1 year extra puzzles as for the annual subscription with the book.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 pm




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
clm wrote:
What would be the points for each extra puzzle each day of the week?, in accordance to the actual scheme (i.e., 14 points for the 10x10, ... )? because, for instance, it looks like the 7x7 with neg numbers (-3 to -3) would probably be of a much higher difficulty.

Yes, according to the actual scheme. I'll add the points to the list. Edit: I've now set it to be 8 points for each extra puzzle.
The 7x7 with negative numbers can be made easy or difficult (as we discussed before :), this one will be "medium".
clm wrote:
When you say there is no limit of time you are meaning that one can send a solution during, let' say, a month, which is the extended calendar for the "premium users"?

Yes.
clm wrote:
Will the extra puzzles appear in the main page ("extra puzzle link" and, in my opinion, this would probably be the best, that is, with the same characteristics, "show coordinates"

Yes, everything the same as for a regular daily puzzle.
clm wrote:
When subscribing (with the book) will you send the book directly to the e-mail or one will be redirected to the page of lulu.com?

The book will be sent as a PDF. I'm now generating a "102 Large Puzzles, Volume 2", which I'll add to this
(but large puzzles take forever to generate :-/ )
clm wrote:
And I assume that the length of the subscription will be measured from date to date, i.e., June 01, 2012 thru May 31, 2013 or July 19, 2012 thru August 18, 2013, is this right?

Correct.
clm wrote:
The period of time, could be selected at the moment of the subscription?, in other words, could a puzzler, subscribe let's say now for September 2012, for instance?

I suppose so, because it's not automatic yet (I have to enter the info into the database by hand)
(so if someone signs up now, for example, I'd put a start date of June 1st)
clm wrote:
Apologize for so many questions.

No, thanks a lot, I'm sure other had the same questions, this is useful information :)

Patrick


Last edited by pnm on Wed May 23, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.



Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 11:59 pm




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
sneaklyfox wrote:
What would the options be in case one would like to cancel the subscription in future?

There'll be an "unsubscribe" link on the account page.
I'll need to think about reimbursement if someone cancels an annual subscription halfway through,
for example.
sneaklyfox wrote:
I also notice that it is the same - $19.95 for the 1 year extra puzzles as for the annual subscription with the book.

Good point. There should be a difference.

Patrick


Profile

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 1:23 am




Posts: 93
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:08 am
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
Patrick,

I'm certainly interested in supporting your site and I would be interested in subscribing, but I'm a little concerned about the security of my credit card information if you intend to keep it for recurring billing, so I'd be more inclined to go for the one-time yearly option. However I'd still like to be able to get the book.


Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 am




Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
mparisi wrote:
Patrick,

I'm certainly interested in supporting your site and I would be interested in subscribing, but I'm a little concerned about the security of my credit card information if you intend to keep it for recurring billing, so I'd be more inclined to go for the one-time yearly option. However I'd still like to be able to get the book.

hi mparisi,
thanks for noting this, I'll clarify this on the
subscription page: all payments are done
through Paypal, so there won't be any
card info stored with the calcudoku site.

Patrick


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 am




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
What would the options be in case one would like to cancel the subscription in future?

There'll be an "unsubscribe" link on the account page.
I'll need to think about reimbursement if someone cancels an annual subscription halfway through,
for example.
sneaklyfox wrote:
I also notice that it is the same - $19.95 for the 1 year extra puzzles as for the annual subscription with the book.

Good point. There should be a difference.

Patrick


What I also mean is that if I wanted say, a month of extra puzzles, there's no incentive for paying the higher price which only gets me the puzzles while the lower price gets me the puzzles and the book when I may have to option of unsubscribing at any point in time. I think reimbursement generally doesn't happen. Once you subscribe, it goes until the end of the subscription date.


Profile

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 am




Posts: 98
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 am
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
sneaklyfox wrote:
pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
What would the options be in case one would like to cancel the subscription in future?

There'll be an "unsubscribe" link on the account page.
I'll need to think about reimbursement if someone cancels an annual subscription halfway through,
for example.
sneaklyfox wrote:
I also notice that it is the same - $19.95 for the 1 year extra puzzles as for the annual subscription with the book.

Good point. There should be a difference.

Patrick


What I also mean is that if I wanted say, a month of extra puzzles, there's no incentive for paying the higher price which only gets me the puzzles while the lower price gets me the puzzles and the book when I may have to option of unsubscribing at any point in time. I think reimbursement generally doesn't happen. Once you subscribe, it goes until the end of the subscription date.


agree, methinks data was reversed?


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 4:42 am




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: subscribe to the site!
Also, does buying one month or a year of puzzles not count as "subscribing"? So does that mean the person only gets the puzzles but not the extra benefits of 5 timed puzzles, no ads, etc?

I say it should be either
1) Buy 1 month of puzzles for $2.49 (only gets you an extra puzzle a day) OR
2) Subscribe with full benefits (everything else listed) for 1 year for $19.99 and only this gets you the free book.


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.