View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 redesign ideas 

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Post Re: redesign ideas
jotempe wrote:
3) How long is the session timeout? Could the session management be modified somehow? I've been "surpsrised" already several times when solving bigger puzzles - sometimes I just don't have time to do it in one go, so I leave the partial solution for a few hours, than come back, finish the solution, and learn that 'if you were logged on..."

I've put in a "hack" that may (...) fix this, keep me posted..

Patrick

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 6:16 am

pnm wrote:
jake4 wrote:
The solver rating is still missing for me (Chrome 19.0.1084.46). I see an empty set of parentheses after the star rating.

Very annoying that I can't reproduce that here.
If this happens, and you open the Developer console (Ctrl + Shift + j) do you see any error messages
(in red) in the console?
jake4 wrote:
(I hope you don't think I'm nagging, I'm just trying to be helpful, honest! [thumbup] )

No, not at all, keep the feedback coming..

[I was planning on sending the message below much earlier today, but got sidetracked and then had to leave the house. I just logged in again, and it seems like you have resolved the problem, as I now see the solver rating in parentheses. Would the info below have been helpful? [tongue] ]

Yes, I have the following error messages on the console:

Failed to load resource https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js
Failed to load resource http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js
Failed to load resource http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js
Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'init' (anonymous function) 3:515
Refused to set unsafe header "Content-length"

The first three are due to my ScriptNo blocking settings. I looked at the fourth and it is related to facebook code, so it's likely due to the third. Unless you're using social networking to display the solver rating, I don't see why any of those should matter. Which leaves the fifth...

I'm emailing you the console dump. [but now I'm not really going to, unless you want it.]

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 6:23 am

I take it back; it's still broken. :( I can't see the solver rating now; but when I just opened up Chrome again, my previous session was restored, and I clearly saw the solver rating. I was on the 6x6 Difficult from 22 May, and I remember the rating was 40. Is that correct? If so, it means I'm not making it up. ;)

However, now when I go to that puzzle or any other (well, I didn't test them all; just a few from yesterday and today) the parentheses are empty again.

Something else weird; there is no interface for me to change the date. I recall another forum post regarding a calendar, and I don't see one. I had to go back in my browser to re-access the puzzle from yesterday. When I was on yesterday's puzzle, I did see the link labelled Today that brought me to the current puzzles.

There are also new error messages on the console:
Uncaught ReferenceError: urchinTracker is not defined 3:476
Uncaught ReferenceError: FB is not defined 3:518
Refused to set unsafe header "Content-length"
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null puzzle2.js:97
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'innerHTML' of null puzzle2.js:231

I'm emailing you 2 console dumps now, for real this time.

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 9:39 am

jake4 wrote:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null puzzle2.js:97
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'innerHTML' of null puzzle2.js:231

Thanks, that's useful information.
I'm thinking it's an issue with Javascript code assuming certain page elements are already there
(in particular, the puzzle), when they aren't yet. Of course this shouldn't happen (this code is
executed after full page load, supposedly), I'll check.

Edit: I've now put in a hack that double-checks if the page is fully loaded, and only
does the initialization when it is (otherwise it waits half a second).

Note that I'm loading the jQuery library from ajax.googleapis.com, so if your script blocker
is blocking that, you'll lose the date picker, solver rating, and submission of solutions.

Patrick

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 pm

pnm wrote:
Note that I'm loading the jQuery library from ajax.googleapis.com, so if your script blocker
is blocking that, you'll lose the date picker, solver rating, and submission of solutions.

Patrick

One of the elements that Chrome's ScriptNo extension is blocking (using the Antisocial setting, since I don't do use any social networking sites) is https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js. I don't see anything being loaded or blocked from ajax.googleapis.com. In fact, ajax.googleapis.com is a domain I've whitelisted.

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 4:34 pm

jake4 wrote:
One of the elements that Chrome's ScriptNo extension is blocking (using the Antisocial setting, since I don't do use any social networking sites) is https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js. I don't see anything being loaded or blocked from ajax.googleapis.com. In fact, ajax.googleapis.com is a domain I've whitelisted.

Ok, good. So are you still seeing errors?

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 4:44 pm

pnm wrote:
jake4 wrote:

Ok, good. So are you still seeing errors?

I have been testing by turning off my various blockers. Allowing all scripts by disabling ScriptNo didn't change anything. I'm also running Ghostery, and disabling that gave me the solver rating, but also the FB and G+ widgets (which I'm not a fan of, hence the blocking.)

Going more fine grained, I discovered the problem is caused by blocking the Facebook Connect script (http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js).

Is it really necessary to use Facebook to display the solver rating? I trust you, Patrick, which is why I've whitelisted the calcudoku.org site on my blockers. But I don't trust Facebook farther than I can throw Mark Zuckerberg.

edit: typo

Last edited by jake4 on Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm

jake4 wrote:
Going more fine grained, I discovered the problem is caused by blocking the Facebook Connect script (http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js).

Thanks for all the testing, this points me in the right direction.
jake4 wrote:
Is it really necessary to use Facebook to display the solver rating? I trust you, Patrick, which is why I've whitelisted the calcudoku.org site on my blockers. But I don't trust Facebook farther than I can throw Mark Zuckerberg.

:-)
Don't get me started on the [cursing] Facebook programming API...

No, of course Facebook is not necessary there. It's probably a call somewhere that assumes the Facebook code
is there, and when it isn't, some later code isn't executed. I'll check by blocking all.js myself and will see what happens...

Oh and my plan for world domination starts by first making everyone addicted to Calcudoku puzzles [woot]

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm

pnm wrote:
Oh and my plan for world domination starts by first making everyone addicted to Calcudoku puzzles [woot]

And then charging $20/yr once they're hooked. [biggrin]

I would buy calcudoku stock before I bought Facebook stock, for sure. (and will! ;) )

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 5:10 pm

jake4 wrote:
And then charging $20/yr once they're hooked. [biggrin]

Exactly. At some point I'll measure automatically how hooked each user is,
and adjust the price accordingly [cool]

(was looking for evil smiley icon, but not there I see :)

Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next