View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 subscribe to the site! 

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 am

Post Re: subscribe to the site!
Excuse me, Patrick, but my English...

We pay $19.99 for one year and we receive a book and one puzzle per day. And both mark points, isn't it? If it is so we must gain points for ALL the puzzles of the book ( and not only the last 30 or so )!
And why not one special 16x16 puzzle every month? I'm sure many people prefers this to the 5 timed puzzles ( or perhaps an alternative, i.e., we choose the timed puzzles XOR the special 16x16 ).

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
What I also mean is that if I wanted say, a month of extra puzzles, there's no incentive for paying the higher price which only gets me the puzzles while the lower price gets me the puzzles and the book when I may have to option of unsubscribing at any point in time. I think reimbursement generally doesn't happen. Once you subscribe, it goes until the end of the subscription date.

Right, good point.

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
Also, does buying one month or a year of puzzles not count as "subscribing"? So does that mean the person only gets the puzzles but not the extra benefits of 5 timed puzzles, no ads, etc?

Yes, that also counts as subscribing (except Paypal doesn't call it that), so you get all the benefits.
sneaklyfox wrote:
I say it should be either
1) Buy 1 month of puzzles for $2.49 (only gets you an extra puzzle a day) OR
2) Subscribe with full benefits (everything else listed) for 1 year for $19.99 and only this gets you the free book.

You're right, it needs to be simplified.
Edit: I now removed the Paypal "subscribe" buttons (with the whole automatic renewal etc.), and left
only the 1 month and 12 month options.
I'll probably put a 6 month option in between.

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 am

jomapil wrote:
We pay $19.99 for one year and we receive a book and one puzzle per day. And both mark points, isn't it? If it is so we must gain points for ALL the puzzles of the book ( and not only the last 30 or so )!

No, it'll be the same as for the first "201 Tricky Puzzles" book: only the 41 hardest puzzles get you points.
jomapil wrote:
And why not one special 16x16 puzzle every month? I'm sure many people prefers this to the 5 timed puzzles ( or perhaps an alternative, i.e., we choose the timed puzzles XOR the special 16x16 ).

That's a good point. In fact, there's no rule that says the extra puzzle "cycle" has to be one week,
it can be any period.

So please let me know: what type of extra puzzles would you like to see?

Patrick

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 3:43 pm

pnm wrote:

For me, one 16x16 one week per month would be great. But because there are many people who don't like these great puzzles ( we saw that in the Christmas and NewYear puzzles ) , the other weeks it can be one 12x12 per week ( e.g. the patterned diagrams of the book " 101 Large puzzles... " very interesting and more laborious ). I think the beginners like more the smallest ones and the advanced players more the greatest.
But you can maybe put to vote ( but also respecting the opinion of the minorities [biggrin] ).

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 7:38 pm

jomapil wrote:
pnm wrote:

For me, one 16x16 one week per month would be great. But because there are many people who don't like these great puzzles ( we saw that in the Christmas and NewYear puzzles ) , the other weeks it can be one 12x12 per week ( e.g. the patterned diagrams of the book " 101 Large puzzles... " very interesting and more laborious ). I think the beginners like more the smallest ones and the advanced players more the greatest.
But you can maybe put to vote ( but also respecting the opinion of the minorities [biggrin] ).

Voting is always welcome, however it looks like if you vote again on the same subject in different days the new votes count (the survey only rejects the vote on the same subject during the same day, I think), I was suspecting this and I believe I have confirmed it. Perhaps, Patrick, you may confirm it. (Because, being so, it could "invalidate" the survey in some way; it's like, in a different context, the "solved xxx time(s) so far" shown for each puzzle is not very significative considering that if you are not "logged in" the solutions also count and anyone can send many, without limits or restrictions, from the same computer, with the same IP, in different days, etc., that's why actually I do not refer to that in the posts, and I am better thinking of saying: "This 6x6 puzzle was solved by around 200 puzzlers ... ", I observed this sometimes when teaching other persons in the calcudokus and working without logging, though this is not very relevant and we have not mentioned it for this reason, while in the case of the voting system is more important).

With respect to the book (s) "101 Large puzzles ... " I do not think the puzzles can be mixed with the extra puzzles because the people who have already sent all or part of the solutions (in the case of the first book) would loose an opportunity to gain the 8 extra points since the book puzzles cann't be sent twice. For the second book [thumbsup] first we must wait its availability but the timing is different (one month for the extra puzzles, no time for the book puzzles). So, the book puzzles should be considered apart, anyway the Patrick's program can generate an "infinite" number of calcudokus (otherwise he would never dominate the world [biggrin]).

With respect to the beginners I am not sure they are very impatient to subscribe since they probably have enough effort to try completing the daily puzzles, though the right to vote is sacred (regardless of the age in this case [smile], my impression is that the new "club" will have more success among the advanced and medium calcuholics).

With respect to the type of extra puzzles, jomapil, I think that the initial Patrick's design is good to start, along with your idea for a 16x16 per month, second novelty besides the -3 to 3. After some time though, I would also like a 13x13, a 14x14, a 15x15 and a 17x17 per month, as well as an 8x8 subtractions only and the introduction of new functions like the logical AND, XOR (and NOT though this is trivial), since the extra puzzle area could also be in the future an extra "laboratory" for the creation and testing of new type of puzzles (TAE for the site).

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 7:54 pm

clm wrote:
Voting is always welcome, however it looks like if you vote again on the same subject in different days the new votes count (the survey only rejects the vote on the same subject during
the same day, I think)

No, it's by IP address, and since most people's IP address changes regularly, this does mean you can vote more than once.
I should of course make it so you can only vote when you're logged in, and store the votes by account..
clm wrote:
With respect to the book (s) "101 Large puzzles ... " I do not think the puzzles can be mixed with the extra puzzles because the people who have already sent all or part of the solutions (in the case of the first book) would loose an opportunity to gain the 8 extra points since the book puzzles cann't be sent twice. For the second book [thumbsup] first we must wait its availability but the timing is different (one month for the extra puzzles, no time for the book puzzles). So, the book puzzles should be considered apart, anyway the Patrick's program can generate an "infinite" number of calcudokus (otherwise he would never dominate the world [biggrin])

Not sure I understand completely. In any case, there's a limit of one book puzzle per day that can be submitted.
clm wrote:
With respect to the type of extra puzzles, jomapil, I think that the initial Patrick's design is good to start, along with your idea for a 16x16 per month, second novelty besides the -3 to 3.

Nobody seems to realize how hard it is to generate at 16x16 [scared]
clm wrote:
After some time though, I would also like a 13x13, a 14x14, a 15x15 and a 17x17 per month, as well as an 8x8 subtractions only and the introduction of new functions like the logical AND, XOR (and NOT though this is trivial), since the extra puzzle area could also be in the future an extra "laboratory" for the creation and testing of new type of puzzles (TAE for the site).

Okokok :-)

Oh and clm, I need you to translate the subscription page to Spanish :-)

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm

pnm wrote:

clm wrote:
With respect to the book (s) "101 Large puzzles ... " I do not think the puzzles can be mixed with the extra puzzles because the people who have already sent all or part of the solutions (in the case of the first book) would loose an opportunity to gain the 8 extra points since the book puzzles cann't be sent twice. For the second book [thumbsup] first we must wait its availability but the timing is different (one month for the extra puzzles, no time for the book puzzles). So, the book puzzles should be considered apart, anyway the Patrick's program can generate an "infinite" number of calcudokus (otherwise he would never dominate the world [biggrin])

Not sure I understand completely. In any case, there's a limit of one book puzzle per day that can be submitted.

My comment was based on the previous jomapil's suggestion but I am thinking now that probably I wrongly understood jomapil when he says "e.g. the patterned diagrams of the book " 101 ... ", because he probably wanted to say "e.g. similar to the patterned diagrams ... " and not those puzzles themselves, I should have seen that from the beginning and not literally ... apologize, jomapil.

pnm wrote:
Oh and clm, I need you to translate the subscription page to Spanish :-)

Sure, I am going to see the mailbox.

Posted on: Wed May 23, 2012 11:18 pm

jomapil wrote:
Excuse me, Patrick, but my English...

I liked the idea of having 5 timed puzzles. I also like this larger 16x16 puzzle idea. But to have each subscriber choose... well, the problem is that the choice isn't equal because a 16x16 probably would be worth many points while having a couple more chances at each timed puzzle doesn't really yield points. Both features could be added.

Posted on: Thu May 24, 2012 12:15 am

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
With respect to the type of extra puzzles, jomapil, I think that the initial Patrick's design is good to start, along with your idea for a 16x16 per month, second novelty besides the -3 to 3.

Nobody seems to realize how hard it is to generate at 16x16 [scared]

So tell us! :)

You could always implement clm's 4x4x4 idea if you'd rather...

Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next