View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 minor glitch with a, b, c for 10, 11, 12 

Posted on: Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 am

Post minor glitch with a, b, c for 10, 11, 12
Doing today's 10x10, I mistakenly typed a 9 in a cell that should have been a 10. (I'm still not sure what my fingers were doing.) The 9 turned red, as it should have - there was already a 9 in both the column and row. I corrected the cell to a 10 by typing 'a'. The cell remained red, so did the 9's. I entered another cell and all three turned black. I reproduced this several times.

When I finished the puzzle, the solution didn't submit. I cleared the bottom right cell and saved it. I then reloaded it, entered the last cell and the solution did submit.

So this is not a huge problem, clearly. Just putting it out there.

fwiw, I used a,b,c and 10,11,12 interchangeably on yesterdays 12x12 and it submitted correctly.

Posted on: Fri May 25, 2012 3:48 am

Post Re: minor glitch with a, b, c for 10, 11, 12
After reading above post...

I tried typing a 10 (pressing 1 then 0) in one cell and then 'a' in another cell in the same row. It appears as two 10s but neither turned red.

Posted on: Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
After reading above post...

I tried typing a 10 (pressing 1 then 0) in one cell and then 'a' in another cell in the same row. It appears as two 10s but neither turned red.

Hm, thanks for the report. Obviously the 1-0 sequence should be
processed exactly the same as the 'a', but apparently not.

Patrick

Posted on: Sat May 26, 2012 1:07 am

pnm wrote:
Obviously the 1-0 sequence should be
processed exactly the same as the 'a', but apparently not.

I don't think it's that obvious. There is currently some non-obvious behavior in the handling of two-digit entries that could be handled differently with single-character input. For example in a 12x12 if you tentatively enter a "1" into a cell, and after working on other cell decide that it should be a "2", if you type "2" into the cell it turns into a 12. Also, if you enter "1" and "0" into a cell you get a 10. If you hit backspace the "0" gets erased so it becomes a "1"; not exactly what I was expecting, but it is somewhat understandable. However, entering an "a" followed by a backspace yielding a "1" seems pretty strange to me.

Posted on: Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm

I solved the 12x12 this morning, again using both number pad and letters for the double digit entries. I finished the puzzle, but it didn't submit. So I blanked out the "10" cell in the bottom right, saved it, reloaded the page and then completed the puzzle successfully. This is a completely viable workaround so I'm not mentioning this again to get the bug fixed sooner. I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else runs into the same issue today and abandons the puzzle without having the solution submit successfully.

Thanks.

Posted on: Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 pm

jaek wrote:
I solved the 12x12 this morning, again using both number pad and letters for the double digit entries. I finished the puzzle, but it didn't submit. So I blanked out the "10" cell in the bottom right, saved it, reloaded the page and then completed the puzzle successfully. This is a completely viable workaround so I'm not mentioning this again to get the bug fixed sooner. I'm just mentioning it in case anyone else runs into the same issue today and abandons the puzzle without having the solution submit successfully.

I put in a fix just now, but since testing it is quite involved,
I'm not 100% sure it'll fix the problem. So let me know :)

Posted on: Mon May 28, 2012 12:06 am

I had something similar happen on that puzzle. I had a 1,11 which conflicted with the 11,12 and the conflicting 11's did not turn red. I think I had typed 11 for one of them and B for the other one. First I verified that continuous error checking was checked. After playing around for a bit (I don't remember exactly what I did) the appropriate cells turned red and then I fixed the conflict and went on to solve the rest of the puzzle. When I was done there were no errors showing but the solution wasn't submitted. I then went back and typed "10", "11", and "12" over all the appropriate cells and my puzzle was submitted. (Since I went from left to right, top to bottom this is consistent with just typing 10 into the lower left corner.)

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]