View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 #2 IN THE WORLD 

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Post Re: #2 IN THE WORLD
ark5731 wrote:
To answer a couple of questions put in this thread (I left school long ago, so I do not regularly visit the forum - no time):
- I wish she was getting better grades at school. She may be #1 in the world sometimes at this calcudoku.org, but not even near #1 in her class.
- She didn't get a solver for her birthday. Besides, that was back in October. But she solves all puzzles rather fast, so it doesn't take her that much time as it would take ordinary people like her father.
- Why she is suddenly scoring so many points? A clue: I'm away from home for two weeks on foreign trips, with awkward internet access most of the time, and she set her mind on passing me in the overall points listing for 'World'. Now, with the subscription coming into effect, she has an extra advantage, as I don't trust to enter my credit card details on the Internet in any of the countries I'm visiting.
- About her typing speed: she can type 'normal texts' at a speed of 350+ strokes/minute with only a few typos. From that point of view, solving the 4x4 in slightly more than 4 seconds isn't that fast.

Sounds like a typical.teenager! Enjoy !!!

Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:47 pm

ark5731 wrote:
To answer a couple of questions put in this thread (I left school long ago, so I do not regularly visit the forum - no time):
[...]
- About her typing speed: she can type 'normal texts' at a speed of 350+ strokes/minute with only a few typos. From that point of view, solving the 4x4 in slightly more than 4 seconds isn't that fast.

It is fast... 350 strokes/min is less than 6 per second, whereas her best 4x4 times indicate almost 8 per second. Not to mention the time needed to find the solution.

Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Right. I should have checked.

Which proves her little sister's point that she doesn't think about the solution at all. Apparently she does think about what she's typing.

Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 pm

When typing a solution, I don't need to move my fingers quite as much as when typing a real text. My left hand fingers are on 1, 2, 3 and 4, and my right hand fingers are on the arrow keys. But while I'm typing normally I have to move my fingers to different keys all the time, so of course that makes me less fast :P

Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:15 pm

I'd say there's also a difference between doing 350 strokes a minute on a text,
and 4-8 seconds high intensity typing (and yes, limited to only 8 keys (!))

Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Still does not change the fact, that this is fast. After all, it is not like you move your fingers in some fixed pattern, you have to press not "some keys" but "the right keys". 8 Hz under such circumstances is a lot. Especially that it is 8 Hz under assumption, that she needs just 15 arrow presses, that is she is filling the diagram in some strict order.

Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Well, as an eyewitness I can tell she going back and forth (and sideways) all the time, and 'bad times' (think of 6-7 seconds or even more) are a result of typos.
And of course, as Patrick already stated, the best times are achieved with well-defined situations, i.e. puzzles with a lot of patterns like 32x = 4-2-4 and not with many 0- = .-.-.

Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5