View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 woohoo 

Posted on: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Post Re: woohoo
danvijan wrote:
pnm wrote:
I'd have to go into hard training for that...

I don't think hard training is enough. You have to do a "Benjamin Button" routine, and actually get younger as time goes by.

As for our little battle for the 5th, I won't go down without a fight [angry]

Benjamin Button... that was a good movie. But I don't think that's about to happen to me anytime soon... heh...

I don't like the one year expiry thing for timed puzzles. But you could always just take people out of the rankings (at least not shown) if they haven't done any puzzles in a year or whatever.

Posted on: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:39 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Benjamin Button... that was a good movie. But I don't think that's about to happen to me anytime soon... heh...

At the risk of going off-topic, that was a _good_ movie? Without irony?
sneaklyfox wrote:
I don't like the one year expiry thing for timed puzzles. But you could always just take people out of the rankings (at least not shown) if they haven't done any puzzles in a year or whatever.

Maybe better, thanks.

Posted on: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 pm

pnm wrote:
picklepep wrote:
Yes I understand. My concern is for the all time best time. i.e. if I somehow never match my 37 sec 6x6 time it goes away in a year. It is still my personal best and I wouldn't like it to disappear. I think it is probably a good idea for the aggregates tho [tongue]

Good point. I can't assume everyone will continue to improve :-)

Maybe you just let those that fall outside the top 100 that go towards your current available totals expire. That way you always have your best 100, best three, and all-time best. You would no longer see that your 10m23s 6x6 solution was your 620th best solution ever.

And while my overall averages have improved, I couldn't tell you how long ago my #1 times were recorded. I'd rather not lose that after a set time.

Posted on: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Roger Maris held the single season home-run record* from 1961 to 1998**. Babe Ruth held it from 1927 to 1961.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was an awfully written short story***, and so the movie was much better. I didn't like it immensely, but the short story was scarringly bad, so by comparison...

And I'm of the opinion that what it should be is this: If you don't record a time within your top 100 times in a year, it takes you off of any timed rankings.

* There were a lot of people who didn't want to credit Maris with the home run record because he played a 162 game season, whereas Ruth hit his in a 154 game season, and at 154 games, Maris was still behind Ruth.

** Mandatory steroids asterisk here.

*** This could have just been my great disdain for F. Scott Fitzgerald speaking. Not entirely sure it was that bad.

Posted on: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:00 am

starling wrote:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was an awfully written short story***, and so the movie was much better. I didn't like it immensely, but the short story was scarringly bad, so by comparison...

*** This could have just been my great disdain for F. Scott Fitzgerald speaking. Not entirely sure it was that bad.

Sooo off topic... but anyway... I didn't read the short story. I wasn't being ironic... I thought the movie was really interesting and I enjoyed it.

Posted on: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Lolz! I just broke the 7 second barrier on the 4x4 and am still only fourth on the day!

Posted on: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

picklepep wrote:
Lolz! I just broke the 7 second barrier on the 4x4 and am still only fourth on the day!

Wow, congratulations :-)

My best is still only 7.22 ...

And "jas33" has been closing in on me, and has now passed me on the 100 best times rankings [mellow]

(and you're closing in as well I see :)

Posted on: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:21 pm

picklepep wrote:

Congratulations! [thumbsup]

I recently broke the 10-second barrier on the 4x4, which I thought I'd never be able to do. A year ago my best time was 18.7, but after months of practice, I now have about 150 times better than that.

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:38 am

Great news for all.......now, if only I could get these old fingers to move fast enough to break my 20 second barrier!!! [biggrin]

Posted on: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:24 am

beaker wrote:
Great news for all.......now, if only I could get these old fingers to move fast enough to break my 20 second barrier!!! [biggrin]

Don't be sorry for that - It is a test of speed and dexterity not a test of calcudoku ( say 90%/10% ).
What I'd like to know is why we can't activate the " Continuous error checking " and why these puzzles are more weird and harder than the usual! For the expert in timed puzzles this is indifferent but for us with little agility at the fingers this would help a little.

BTW, I solve all the 4x4 in a time greater than 30 seconds. When I break this barrier of 30 seconds I will give a party. But I suppose this situation will never arrive. [sad]

Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next