View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 6x6 - let's see it on youtube! 

Posted on: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Post Re: 6x6 - let's see it on youtube!
clm wrote:
I am... Calcu-Faustus.

So the C in clm is short for Calcu-Faustus? I was expecting something a little more Spanish.

(And yes, the ellipsis is my edit. But it makes the joke work better. [biggrin] )

Posted on: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 pm

jomapil wrote:
Wonderful, Starling!
But now I see why the 3 S ( Starling, Sneaklyfox and Sheldoline ) are the best in the time puzzles: You three are good pianists consequently you are well trained with the fingers!
The next step is to ask to you three to put at Youtube one video with a musical piece of Mozart.

I don't if you should put me in the list with starling and sheldolina. They are exceptional while I think I'm more of a distant third. I didn't know starling and sheldolina also played piano. Did I miss a post or am I simply forgetful? I don't have a Mozart recording, but I do have a couple of my music recordings on youtube (it's with pictures though and it's violin not piano). Here's one if you like to listen to Tchaikovsky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hs_B7N6Ag&feature=relmfu

Posted on: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:38 pm

jaek wrote:
clm wrote:
I am... Calcu-Faustus.

So the C in clm is short for Calcu-Faustus? I was expecting something a little more Spanish.

(And yes, the ellipsis is my edit. But it makes the joke work better. [biggrin] )

Hi, jaek, you have discovered my little secret [rolleyes], but donn't tell it to the other participants in my country, 'cause I believe since some time ago they are a little [angry] with the rankings (apologize for this), and they would inmediately complain to Patrick who will put me [thumbdn].

Btw, of course, Goethe (along with Buddha, Marco Aurelio, Galileo, Da Vinci, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Van Gogh, not necessarily Picasso, ... , and yes, yes, Blake, Katherine Mansfield, Keats, Shelley, Aldous Huxley or F. Scott Fitzgerald and Howard Fast ...) is among my favourite historic personages.

But this time (more in line with the jomapil's reference to Mozart and the music) I was referring to the more ambiguous Doktor Faustus, by Thomas Mann (this novelist was born in the beautiful town of Lübeck and as you know living several years in USA (L.A.)). When you visit Lübeck you understand (better than in Frankfurt where Goethe was born) the need for "selling the soul to the devil" ... but this is a little off-topic, let's see now, in YouTube, sneaklyfox with the violin, so we will have some material to do parallelisms between music and calcudoku. [biggrin]

Posted on: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
I didn't know starling and sheldolina also played piano.

I also don't know. It was a joke. But with that dexterity of the fingers......

Tchaikovsky is ( was ) great. I knew that melody from a TV series ( Sherlock Holmes ) but I didn't know it was from Tchaikovsky.
And at first the first image of the video looked like an Inca temple of Peru. But it isn't, of course. It is a modern ( relatively ) modern building.

clm wrote:
is among my favourite historic personages.

You referred my favorite, Einstein.

And, Sheldolina we are still waiting for your demonstration!

Posted on: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
I didn't know starling and sheldolina also played piano.

I didn't know I played piano either. ^^
I do play guitar, though. :P

jomapil wrote:
And, Sheldolina we are still waiting for your demonstration!

Yeah, I know, I don't really have time to upload it and stuff ;) Exam week at school, so I have to study. But that will be over in a week, so just be patient (A)

Posted on: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:09 am

Quote:
It seems that because of the video codec you're using,
it takes a while for the image to stabilize.
Does this software give you a choice of codec?

I just realized I had it set for a computer game, so I'll attempt to record with that setting off. Searching codec, of course, yields nothing. I'll attempt one after I get back tonight.

Quote:
I didn't know starling and sheldolina also played piano. Did I miss a post or am I simply forgetful?

I've never said it on here, but I used to play piano. I quit about 4 years ago to focus more musically on singing (I have fairly short fingers, not well designed for playing piano, so yeah.).

Quote:

I mean, a lot of my finger dexterity comes from playing video games from time to time. The reason I had that recording software in the first place was for League of Legends, so...

Quote:
Btw, of course, Goethe (along with Buddha, Marco Aurelio, Galileo, Da Vinci, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Van Gogh, not necessarily Picasso, ... , and yes, yes, Blake, Katherine Mansfield, Keats, Shelley, Aldous Huxley or F. Scott Fitzgerald and Howard Fast ...) is among my favourite historic personages.

I'm not a huge fan of Fitzgerald. All of his stuff seems too time-bound to me. But hey, at least you didn't list Ford or Edison, neither of whom was as brilliant as they get credit for in history books.

Also, Kierkegaard is one of my personal favorites whom I felt it necessary to mention.

Posted on: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 am

jomapil wrote:

Tchaikovsky is ( was ) great. I knew that melody from a TV series ( Sherlock Holmes ) but I didn't know it was from Tchaikovsky.
And at first the first image of the video looked like an Inca temple of Peru. But it isn't, of course. It is a modern ( relatively ) modern building.

Yes, age is all relative... the building in the first picture is over a hundred years old...

Posted on: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 am

starling wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Fitzgerald. All of his stuff seems too time-bound to me.

Also, Kierkegaard is one of my personal favorites whom I felt it necessary to mention.

I mean absolutely no offense, Starling, but when I read Gatsby at age 16 or 18 I thought it was about a guy with a nice suit who threw a big party. When my daughter was reading it at age 16 I revisited it and omg, but Fitzgerald knew a thing or two about how conflicted and textured life can be.

As did Kierkegaard, _Fear and Trembling_ rocked my world when I first encountered it. He went further.

Posted on: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:27 am

jaek wrote:
starling wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Fitzgerald. All of his stuff seems too time-bound to me.

I mean absolutely no offense, Starling, but when I read Gatsby at age 16 or 18 I thought it was about a guy with a nice suit who threw a big party. When my daughter was reading it at age 16 I revisited it and omg, but Fitzgerald knew a thing or two about how conflicted and textured life can be.

The thing about Gatsby is that on it's own, Gatsby might be okay, but if you read it alongside, say, This Side of Paradise, it begins to feel like a product of an era rather than simply good literature.

But the thing is that "product of an era" should apply to Kipling, Hemingway, and Steinbeck, but none of them seem to be quite as bad in my mind, so it could just be that I had Fitzgerald pushed on me a lot harder than anything else.

And yeah, I read Fear and Trembling and Either/Or both this year, and both just sort of made me rethink everything.

Posted on: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
I don't if you should put me in the list with starling and sheldolina. They are exceptional while I think I'm more of a distant third. I didn't know starling and sheldolina also played piano. Did I miss a post or am I simply forgetful? I don't have a Mozart recording, but I do have a couple of my music recordings on youtube (it's with pictures though and it's violin not piano). Here's one if you like to listen to Tchaikovsky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hs_B7N ... ure=relmfu

As a reward for your magnificent Tchaikovsky here is an wonderful Ode To Joy from Beethoven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GB ... e=youtu.be

I hope you will be amazed with this wonder.

Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next