View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 European cup final 

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Post European cup final
Calcudoku appears to mirror the European cup final. It has clm as the Spain historical master and agnostico, alessio1970, and bertoldo as the Italy upstarts.

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Post Re: European cup final
sjs34 wrote:
Calcudoku appears to mirror the European cup final. It has clm as the Spain historical master and agnostico, alessio1970, and bertoldo as the Italy upstarts.

Very kind, thanks, this means that you like soccer (btw I see myself more as Casillas in the door than as Fernando Torres), the USA's soccer team has been constantly improving in the last years and is actually playing very good soccer while 20-25 years ago this sport was not very popular in USA.

But I am very affraid this time the Spanish team has a really difficult challenge, more difficult than the Calcudoku [biggrin], four years ago, in the last European, Spain won Italy "in the penalties" (quarter finals IIRC). This is not an advanced excuse but here everybody says that under normal circumstances Spain would have win but that the players are "very tired" [smile] [smile], statistics?, long season, more than 100 points to gain the Spanish League, the Atlético de Madrid won the UEFA Cup, the Real Madrid and Barcelona advanced to the semifinals in the Euperan Champions League, ... , i.e. Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid) has played absolutely all matches this season and always the 90 minutes (they are probably thinking already in the swimming pool ...), so this time it will be necessary something more than those 600,000 euros they will win if they gain the Cup (anyway I'm thinking now that I have done all Calcudokus during the last 365 days and I have not gained 600,000 euros well ... though many bonus puzzles ... :-)).

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:01 pm

clm wrote:
(anyway I'm thinking now that I have done all Calcudokus during the last 365 days and I have not gained 600,000 euros well ... though many bonus puzzles ... :-)).

Speaking of bonus puzzles, I have solved 398. Has anyone done more?

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
clm wrote:
(anyway I'm thinking now that I have done all Calcudokus during the last 365 days and I have not gained 600,000 euros well ... though many bonus puzzles ... :-)).

Speaking of bonus puzzles, I have solved 398. Has anyone done more?

I have a total of 354 (22 months, more or less, in the site).

Posted on: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Finally it resulted in a very nice spectacle. I specially liked the fourth goal, when Fernando Torres had the possibility of becoming the best performer of the Championship (breaking the equality at 3 goals with some other players including Balotelli) and he kindly passed the ball to his friend Juan Mata, that is "sense of team" and sportsmanlike [thumbsup].

Posted on: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 pm

clm wrote:
Finally it resulted in a very nice spectacle. I specially liked the fourth goal, when Fernando Torres had the possibility of becoming the best performer of the Championship (breaking the equality at 3 goals with some other players including Balotelli) and he kindly passed the ball to his friend Juan Mata, that is "sense of team" and sportsmanlike [thumbsup].

A bit flattering that scoreline though, Italy playing with 10 men.. [glare]

Posted on: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:

A bit flattering that scoreline though, Italy playing with 10 men.. [glare]

Yes, but only in the second half (the last 30 minutes, from the minute 16 IIRC ...) (I am not very expert in soccer but someone said, was Helenio Herrera?, that a team plays better with 10 than players than with 11 :-)) and also it was a very clear hand near the door so a "bonus penalty" was given to Italy :-)

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:04 am

CLM: tuned in to the game after Italy was short one man.....what was the reason????........even with 11 players, I don't think Italy would have won as the Spanish team were challenging every ball in open space and while in possession by the Italians.....they were tenaciously going after the ball the entire game........congrats to Spain.......now if only the southern Euro zone could manage their economies as well as they manage to play soccer!

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 am

beaker wrote:
CLM: tuned in to the game after Italy was short one man.....what was the reason????........even with 11 players, I don't think Italy would have won as the Spanish team were challenging every ball in open space and while in possession by the Italians.....they were tenaciously going after the ball the entire game........congrats to Spain.......now if only the southern Euro zone could manage their economies as well as they manage to play soccer!

Some of the Spanish players have the ability of suddenly spinning 180º going very fast against the opposite door when apparently they are looking back for a collegue to pass the ball, in one of these situations, when Thiago Motta tried to react (to the movements of Xavi Hernández I think) he had a hard "pulled muscle" (he had entered 5 minutes ago in the field, probably he was still "cold"), he showed a big pain and had to abandon the field (this type of "injured ligament" requires 5-6 weeks to recover), but as the Italian team had completed the three regulated changes (Thiago Motta was the last), no substitution was possible, remaining with 10 players the rest of the match (some times the soccer games have 9 or even less in a team as a consequence of sanctions, "errors" of the "Mister", etc.). But the Italian team was really broken at the end of the first half with the 0-2 in the minute 42.

I am affraid actually the economy is much more "empiric" than soccer, less precise, observe this "law" (not as good as the empiric "Okun's law" [biggrin]): "As worse it goes the economy as better it plays soccer a country".

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Thank you for the explanation of the "missing Italian player".
I could not get over the speed that some of the Spanish players......especially near the end of the game when one started at center field and literally ran past 3 defenders who were trying to match his speed.
I guess the rest of the world will have to hope for a decline in soccer abilities in the near future......but, can't see that happening after watching some of the Euro Matches!!

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]