View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Points limit 

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Post Re: Points limit
jomapil wrote:
After all what's happens?
I completed the 42 regular points. Later I solved a killer sudoku and in the window says I gained 0 points. But in My history it appears 3 points!

Good point, that needs to be fixed. It makes the history page trickier,
because I need to keep track of the number of points scored each day,
there may even be partial points scored (!)
jomapil wrote:
The killer sudokus have the character of regular?
And if so why are not jointed to the remainder regular puzzles as I already have suggested? ( instead of the extra )

Yes, there are counted as regular puzzles.
And yes, that was a good suggestion, thanks, I just didn't get round to replying to your post yet...

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Today I had very limited time to spend on puzzles. It was quite convenient to get my 42 points without any of the 8x8 difficult, the 9x9, the 12x12 and the killer difficult. It feels noncompetitive, though.

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:12 pm

sjs34 wrote:
Today I had very limited time to spend on puzzles. It was quite convenient to get my 42 points without any of the 8x8 difficult, the 9x9, the 12x12 and the killer difficult. It feels noncompetitive, though.

Hm, yes, what to do, what to do... :-(

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Not easy indeed!

- all puzzles counting: takes too much time for many who still want to be high on the ranking
- 42 regular points/day, the present situation: non-competitive. Apart from the timed puzzles, even I will soon be on equal level with the ones who are really better than me - and I can take advantage of the fact I have submitted only book puzzles for 761 points so far.
- the alternatives already mentioned: only the first or the best n puzzles count. Note the difference!
- reduce the number of puzzles: will make the site only less interesting, i.e. not a good option.

Adopting the alternative with the best n puzzles counting (n=5 to 8, to be decided by Patrick) would be a somewhat lazy system. Just try everything if you have enough time, then automatically you will get the highest number of points possible for you on that particular day.
The alternative with the first n completed puzzles counting may require some strategic skills from the ones operating at an intermediate level, like me. Probably that is the most attractive one?

Your votes please...

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 pm

42 points per day is, in fact, a non-competitive situation. But more and more puzzles is a disadvantage for all those who work and don't have much time. Counting the 5 or 6 or 7 better puzzles each player or anything else will can be a solution. But there are always satisfied and dissatisfied. Concern Patrick to weigh all the hypothesis and to choose the best for him.

P.S. - Or a new voting!

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 pm

pnm wrote:
sjs34 wrote:

Hm, yes, what to do, what to do... :-(

Perhaps it would be convenient to reconsider that level of 42 points. In today's case, thursday, with only 1 additional point for the limit (43 vice 42) it would have been necessary to complete at least one more puzzle, the killer dificult or any of the other, let's say, 8x8 modulo or 9x9 (considering that the 12x12 could be kept for friday or saturday ... ). Anyway to achieve everyday this target the limit must be studied looking individually to the different days of the week in order to find a common limit.

Other possibility for the "justice": To assign bonus points after some number of gold stars: 2, 3, etc. (but for this purpose you would need to count the stars and to add some indication in the "green screen" when the star is got). Otherwise, there is no much sense in doing, as today, 41 additional points (8 for the 8x8, 10 for the 9x9, 16 for the 12x12 and 7 for the difficult killer, 34 to obtain the gold star plus 7 "regular" but not counting for the gold star, the star is only valid for today and "history" tomorrow) without any actual of future prize, without any "hope".

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:20 pm

clm wrote:
Perhaps it would be convenient to reconsider that level of 42 points. In today's case, thursday, with only 1 additional point for the limit (43 vice 42) it would have been necessary to complete at least one more puzzle, the killer dificult or any of the other, let's say, 8x8 modulo or 9x9 (considering that the 12x12 could be kept for friday or saturday ... ).

Or reduce the number of points rewarded for a couple of puzzles..

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 pm

pnm wrote:
Or reduce the number of points rewarded for a couple of puzzles..

That would mainly reward the people already having a lot of points - 'gained during the easy days'.

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

ark5731 wrote:
That would mainly reward the people already having a lot of points - 'gained during the easy days'.

Well.. over time puzzles have been only added (except for the 8x8 easy, which was removed at some point).

And I could of course reduce the number of points for each puzzle type retroactively [scared]

Posted on: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Don't really see the point of reducing the number of points awarded for a puzzle.

I would probably vote for 5 hardest puzzles (5 puzzles with most points).

Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next