View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 consecutive days "puzzling" 

Posted on: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 am

Post Re: consecutive days "puzzling"
[Would also be neat (but much extra work for Patrick) to see graphs of your performance over time for timed puzzles. Then you can see how you've been improving.[/quote]

My graph would look rather anemic as I just cannot "crack" the 20 second barrier for the 4x4, I think I actually did a 5x5 in 59 seconds finally breaking my 60 second barrier and the 6x6's always take longer than 2 minutes.....so breaking of my 120 second barrier for the 6x6's.....but I would live to see the graphs of others such as sneaklyfox, sheldolina, etc just to marvel at their skill level (just the ex-teacher in me wanting to see everyone's best effort).

Posted on: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 am

pnm wrote:
beaker wrote:
Pun intended!
Not a new topic, but I sure would be interested in knowing how many consecutive days I have been doing puzzles.......I think it has been everyday since March 22 or 23rd of 2012.......would be nice to see a ranking of these days in comparison to other users................Ken

Maybe I should remove the 100 day limit, could be interesting :-)

This looks a good idea, once we have a list of "nr. of consecutive days ... " there is not a clear reason to stablish a limit of "100 days", without that limit the puzzlers bellow 100 days would remain exactly in the same position while those over the actual limit would show the real number of consecutive days, this is more precise (also in my opinion, as beaker suggested). In the other hand I agree with mparisi in which there are more important things to do in life and there is not much sense in "fighting" for this ranking but perhaps there is people who follow that target even sending only the 4x4 easy, in which case let's give them that opportunity.

I also agree with the danvijan's proposal of showing (additionally) the "consecutive days with the gold star", though this affects relatively little people but it's also interesting information, BTW we must remind that the "gold star" is not still including the killer puzzles and it should since these are actually regular points so the gold star has become a little "irrelevant" (not according with the original purpose that was suggested in its moment by jomapil if IIRC). In this context, also, an automatic "bonus points" or alternately an "extra bonus puzzle" after some number of consecutive gold stars has not been implemented yet (massively voted in favour ... though it can be understood due to the heavy load of Patrick's work these last weeks).

Posted on: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:17 am

mparisi wrote:
Once you get to a time span of years, you start worrying about getting your puzzles done no matter what, such as when you are on vacation, and you can miss out on the more important things in life.

I see your point. Even if I argue "it's only as competitive as you make it", I can imagine that
once you reach 200 consecutive days, say, you simply "must" do a puzzle each day..

As suggested by sneaklyfox, I did then think of putting the info on the history page.

Stats like "the longest streak" etc. I could write about in an occasional forum post.

Many other stats are possible (e.g. the "best time over time" suggested by beaker) and interesting :-)
(I have in fact already a test page that shows a histogram of the 100 best times :)

Patrick

Last edited by pnm on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 am

I'm with beaker & sneaklyfox on this one.

Once upon a time not so long ago I hit the 100 ceiling and was trying to figure out how that ranking deals with the obvious tie at the top as time goes by. Then one day I missed the deadline for doing puzzles by 5 minutes due to reasons beyond my control, so I dropped all the way down. After that, I heavily reduced the amount of time spent on puzzling. There is life outside Calcudoku - esp. for people with a job & some professional responsibilities that go beyond the personal scope.

So I'm also not really in favor of adding even more rankings for the sake of rankings. But I would indeed like to have my personal stats info on a personal page. And this should include things like the longest series of days and/or gold stars, ... And why not even some stats on the types of puzzles I've done - or at least on their difficulty levels.

Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Ok, the "number of consecutive days" ranking is gone,
and the stat itself has moved to your history page..

(still limited at 100, I'll fix that)

Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

The limit has been fixed, and also "max streaks" have been calculated.

Here is the top 25 (the streaks with a * are still going!):

Code:
1. mparisi                    954
2. sjs34                      629 *
3. ric3142                    603 *
4. japcione                   587
5. rossiniman                 582

6. mpopeskov                  567
7. doug                       550
8. rkmc93636                  541
9. beaker                     533 *
10. danvijan                  531

11. Claudio, fb_1169          519
12. clm                       513 *
13. sagearrow                 507
14. cecileb                   475 *
15. ludo                      457

16. duckyd                    456
17. tgibby                    418
18. fzpowerman47              398 *
19. siebe                     395
20. Michelle, fb_4233         395

21. arjen                     381 *
22. sietse                    376 *
23. rleith                    371
24. cvansomeren               370
25. amadeus1                  345

edit: my longest streak is 98 days, I was surprised :-)

Posted on: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 pm

mce wrote:
Once upon a time not so long ago I hit the 100 ceiling and was trying to figure out how that ranking deals with the obvious tie at the top as time goes by.

The order at the top of the ranking for all those who had hit at least 100 days was determined by longevity on the site itself. Therefore, once I climbed into the top 100, my placement was usually somewhere in the middle, just because I'd been around longer than several of the others who had also hit 100, but not as long as mparisi and others.

For me it always seemed that within a week or so of my hitting the top 100, I'd miss a day and fall back down to the bottom. I made the top 100 about 4 different times, but didn't seem to be able to stay there for very long. And it's not like I always had the excuse of circumstances beyond my control... Maybe it was just psychological...

Posted on: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Very interesting to know the longest streak. I like this new stat.

Posted on: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:01 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Very interesting to know the longest streak. I like this new stat.

Yes, the 954 is surreal...

It's not 1000 though [glare]

What is your longest?

Posted on: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:48 pm

My highest streak is 259. Nothing close to 1000. I doubt I would get there as I foresee either vacation to cottage with no internet or something else happening before the next 3 years are out (I'm currently at 127). I pretty much remember all the times that I did not do calcudoku.
1. cottage for a week
2. baby
3. lost internet connection

Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next