View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 harder 5x5 twin puzzles 
Author Message
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 pm




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
 harder 5x5 twin puzzles
Another one that has been "on the list" for a long time: the "difficult" 5x5 twins
of Wednesday and Thursday were too easy (usually perfectly possible to solve
them by themselves).

Starting this coming Wednesday, they should be quite a bit trickier (still doable
in a few minutes, but at least not trivial anymore).

Below is an example:

Image

Your opinions??


Profile

Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: harder 5x5 twin puzzles
pnm wrote:
Another one that has been "on the list" for a long time: the "difficult" 5x5 twins
of Wednesday and Thursday were too easy (usually perfectly possible to solve
them by themselves).

Starting this coming Wednesday, they should be quite a bit trickier (still doable
in a few minutes, but at least not trivial anymore).

Below is an example: ...

Your opinions??


Interesting idea, Patrick, this is the way, it looks a little trickier, however in this particular case it is possible to solve the full twin puzzle using only the right puzzle, for instance (you can see it quickly), that is, the left puzzle is not providing information at all (in the past I talked in the Forum, IIRC in the thread "The essential info in a puzzle", about the difficulty of designning the twins so interleaved that it would be impossible to solve them without the cooperating info of both sides).


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: harder 5x5 twin puzzles
clm wrote:
Interesting idea, Patrick, this is the way, it looks a little trickier, however in this particular case it is possible to solve the full twin puzzle using only the right puzzle, for instance

Thanks for checking that, I'll raise the stakes a bit then :-)

A slightly harder example (the left puzzle should not be solvable
on its own, for example):

Image


Profile

Posted on: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: harder 5x5 twin puzzles
pnm wrote:
... I'll raise the stakes a bit then ...
A slightly harder example (the left puzzle should not be solvable
on its own, for example):
...


Yes, because the left puzzle by itself can have these two solutions (so not a unique solution):
21435
52314
34251
45123
13542

and

24153
32415
53241
15324
41532

but the right puzzle is solvable again alone (without the cooperation of the left side): c5 = 5 (addition rule, two leftmost columns) >>> c1 = 1, d1 = 5. Now, since: 9 + b2 + 6 + (15 - c3) = 30 (two upmost rows) >>> b2 = c3 and this quickly permits to eliminate a4 = 2, a5 = 1, b5 = 3 ... driving to the unique a4 = 1, a5 = 4, b5 = 1 >>> b1 = 4, a1 = 2 (e1 = 3), a2 = 3 >>> b2 = 2 = c3 ... finding inmediately the rest of the unique solution.


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ] 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.