View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 server change 

Posted on: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Post Re: server change
All hail and kudos to our worthy and esteemed leader!

Thank you Monsieur pnm for your valiant efforts.

The site runs like a charm!

Posted on: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:50 am

Unfortunately I still got a report of the page at least once taking minutes (!) to load.

I've added "page processing time" and "page load time" information at the bottom of
the page, do let me know if anything unusual shows up there.

(from here they're typically < 0.5 sec for processing, and 1-2 sec for loading).

Also, the full database backup (now running at 7.42 CET) is still causing a few
timeout errors (temporarily affecting 2-3 users) :-( , I want those to go away..

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:35 pm

pnm wrote:
I've added "page processing time" and "page load time" information at the bottom of
the page, do let me know if anything unusual shows up there.

(from here they're typically < 0.5 sec for processing, and 1-2 sec for loading).

Of the puzzles I solved yesterday for which I thought to check the latency (8 of 12 timed puzzles, 6M, 9D, 12D, KSD), I found the following:
Code:
          Processing    Loading
Max        0.522         2.228
Mean       0.252         1.535
Median     0.232         1.426
Min        0.135         1.346

That's from Texas, fwiw. Feels much faster than before, honestly. Thanks for upgrading.

Posted on: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:54 pm

jaek wrote:
That's from Texas, fwiw. Feels much faster than before, honestly. Thanks for upgrading.

Great, thanks for the info.

I could log all the latencies + locations to get a better picture (if I find some time for that..).

And strictly speaking it was a downgrade, but to a server than runs 1 site
(instead of the 220+, many of which get hacked on a regular basis [scared] )

Posted on: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I've added a few more tweaks and optimizations,
the page should load a bit faster still [woot]

Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:06 am

pnm wrote:
And strictly speaking it was a downgrade, but to a server than runs 1 site
(instead of the 220+, many of which get hacked on a regular basis [scared] )
Best downgrade ever! There has been no lag at all since this site escaped from Horrible Hosting, Inc. – not even during the critical first hour after midnight CET [thumbup]

Posted on: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:39 am

I don't know if this is due to a server problem, but for the first time in nearly three months I have experienced lagging when submitting the puzzles – and finally the dreaded error message:
    There were 3 attempts to send your solution,and it is still not working.
    Our apologies,please try again later.
But even if I got the error message, the puzzle in question did show up in my history and also duly "turned green" on the front page. As before, the forum (and the loading of puzzles, unlike the submission of solved puzzles to the server) doesn't seem to be slowed down. [confused]

(edited to add:) At 02:00 CET, I noticed the problem had disappeared. [smile] Goodnight [sleep]

Posted on: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am

bram wrote:
I don't know if this is due to a server problem, but for the first time in nearly three months I have experienced lagging when submitting the puzzles – and finally the dreaded error message:

Yes, I'm seeing that too, a couple of times these past few days.
Last night around 00.30 CET.

The server is busy then, but not too busy I think. I've installed a system stats collector
on the server (should have done that right away of course), and will check them later.

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 pm

bram wrote:

It seems this happens whenever a few people (3 or more (!)) access the rankings page at the same time.
Parts of the code there are still terribly inefficient, thereby overloading the database server.

I've put in one efficiency improvement just now, which already makes a huge difference.

In the longer term I want to have the rankings pages be managed by the same code that
now does the 'ticker': it'll continuously keep track of the rankings lists and serve those
as requested, instead of recomputing them every time someone requests the page
(which should make them orders of magnitude faster and as a result no longer interfere with the rest of the site :)

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 pm

pnm wrote:
It seems this happens whenever a few people (3 or more (!)) access the rankings page at the same time.

What?! [scared] I have sometimes opened 3 different rankings windows at the same time (Europe, World, extra points) before finishing the day's last puzzle so as to F5-refresh them immediately afterwards and have my handle and flag appear at the top of each page, to the right of "The latest solution today was submitted by:". Makes for glorious-looking screenshots – which I am in the habit of taking after reaching a milestone (such as a new position in the all-time rankings or *ahem* my recent 60,000 points). Oh, the vanity [blush]

Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next