View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 today's 8x8 difficult puzzle 

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:19 am

Post today's 8x8 difficult puzzle
I was surprised to find an 8x8 twin instead of the usual Friday 8x8 exponentiation puzzle. Is this a permanent change?

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 am

Post Re: today's 8x8 difficult puzzle
Hope so [smile]......possibly that is why the extra is missing as I believe that a twin 8x8 has been used for the extra in the past......but, as it is very early in the AM in Europe and Patrick is probably sleeping, this won't be resolved for a while yet.

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:47 am

beaker wrote:
Hope so [smile]......possibly that is why the extra is missing as I believe that a twin 8x8 has been used for the extra in the past......but, as it is very early in the AM in Europe and Patrick is probably sleeping, this won't be resolved for a while yet.

Good call on the 8x8 twin for the extra. I bet the new 8x8 timed is part of the problem.

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 am

jaek wrote:
Good call on the 8x8 twin for the extra. I bet the new 8x8 timed is part of the problem.

That's what I thought initially, but it wasn't.

For some reason the extra puzzles for November were flagged as regular puzzles, which
caused all kinds of problems.

I generate the puzzles for the next month at the end of the previous month, and then run a checking script
which validates the database, but this time I hadn't run that script (?!) And of course that's exactly when
such an error occurs..

All should be ok again now.

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:37 am

pnm wrote:
jaek wrote:

That's what I thought initially, but it wasn't.

For some reason the extra puzzles for November were flagged as regular puzzles, which
caused all kinds of problems.

I generate the puzzles for the next month at the end of the previous month, and then run a checking script
which validates the database, but this time I hadn't run that script (?!) And of course that's exactly when
such an error occurs..

All should be ok again now.

Something is still wrong, in order to get the gold star I had to do again various puzzles (shown as not done in my page after the site reloading) (today is holliday in my country). The situation now is that my history is showing several duplications today, however the gold star is not shown while apparently I have sent all puzles.

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 am

I noted a problem, probably at the time when the problem of extra puzzle was solved. I finished 8x8 medium, when showed me that the solution has error and points were not added to my total score. I started again and solved it on a same way and everything was correct. I chose “go to the next unsolved puzzle” and a got 4x4 easy, which was already solved, but there was no note that I’ve already solved that puzzle, although they was green as solved puzzles. I resolved all my puzzles and I got points again. I logout and login, but the doubled points were there. This is good for me because I’m closer to my bonus puzzle, but that is incorrect.

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am

kristina wrote:
I noted a problem, probably at the time when the problem of extra puzzle was solved. I finished 8x8 medium, when showed me that the solution has error and points were not added to my total score. I started again and solved it on a same way and everything was correct. I chose “go to the next unsolved puzzle” and a got 4x4 easy, which was already solved, but there was no note that I’ve already solved that puzzle, although they was green as solved puzzles. I resolved all my puzzles and I got points again. I logout and login, but the doubled points were there. This is good for me because I’m closer to my bonus puzzle, but that is incorrect.

Thanks for letting me know. I had to clear and reload the regular and extra puzzles,
which caused them to get new "id numbers" (which is why you got the "incorrect solution" error,
it could no longer find the puzzle with the old id).

A bit later I updated the puzzle ids for solved puzzles in the database, but probably
after you submitted your solutions again, hence the double entries...
I'll look up and will clear the "doubles".

Edit: those double solutions have been cleared (each 2nd solution).

thanks again,

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Things may still be a little out of whack. I had solved the 'first' 8x8 difficult (the twin) before the new puzzles had been straightened out. As of a little while ago the 'extra' puzzle was the only one showing incomplete based on the navigation banner.

But rather than complete that one I just now I did the 8x8 difficult with exponentiation since I like that one and hadn't tackled it yet. Its link in the navigation was on a shaded background, but when the page loaded the note about it already having been solved was missing. I got points for it. Now my history shows I solved 3 8x8 puzzles today, none of them labeled extra.

I think the first 8x8 for 8 points I completed is actually the extra and should be marked complete, labeled in my history, etc. Is that correct?

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:54 pm

jaek wrote:
Things may still be a little out of whack. I had solved the 'first' 8x8 difficult (the twin) before the new puzzles had been straightened out.

You're right, forgot to clear those.
Should be cleared now.

This may mean you have to solve the 'extra' twin again, sorry..

Posted on: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Are you kidding.....why not just give the users who solved it the 8 points [smile]

Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next