View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 which puzzles to drop? 

Posted on: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 am

Post Re: which puzzles to drop?
So far I like the changes as they are.

Hi, Bram.

Posted on: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am

sjs34 wrote:
So far I like the changes as they are.

Yes, I think we're at a good size now,

~ 10 Calcudoku / day, of which ~ 3-4 a bit harder/difficult.

So no further cuts planned :-)

(as I found out in the past, adding puzzles is much easier than removing them again [blush] )

Posted on: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 pm

beaker wrote:
Don't need ANY MORE more difficult puzzles........not the genius that many of the users are.......don't understand parity rule nor any of the formulaic calculations put forth by many of the users.......am a 70 year old user who liked the site the way it was as it gave me a wider variety from which to choose to try to maintain my 350 points/week average.......but now, I don't think that will be possible any more.........I'd be curious to know how many users average more than 400 points per week because it appears this site is catering to their wishes rather than the (I think) the majority which do not average even 300 points/week [thumbdn]

Hi, beaker, I am adding a separate post to the topic "The parity" in the section "Solving strategies and tips", very detailed, so I hope it can help you in understanding this concept (if you have any doubt do not hesitate in exposing it for additional clarifications, it is possible that many other puzzlers have the same difficulties, no matter the age [smile], ... , perhaps the initial exposition or the following discussions on this subject were confuse or very concise, ... ). For this occasion I am going to "virtually" visit Canada for two or three days (apologize?, I will be very near you in the rankings, I hope you do not have any objections, we can talk more directly :-) :-)), in this way I can also visit my very good friend opacitaviola who is also a brilliant Canadian player.

Posted on: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Hola ckm

welcome to Canada! :)

Posted on: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:57 am

opacitaviola wrote:
Hola ckm

welcome to Canada! :)

Thanks a lot, opacitaviola, for your hospitality, I am really enjoying this "visit" and feeling very comfortable.

Merci beaucoup et à bientôt.

Posted on: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:31 am

clm: any help is greatly appreciated.....and as far as the "brilliant" compliment goes, I'm sure you are referring to opacitaviola because I on the other hand am not....also downloaded/printed some more info from the internet and while holidaying in Maui in the not too distant future, I will have time to try to understand this mathematical concept.....I definately want to learn how to solve the negative 7x7 (as don't usually get "lucky" on that one).

Posted on: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I enjoy doing the puzzles, and reducing the amount of puzzles is not a good choice in my opinion. I am sure there are many people who cannot afford to be subscribers, and this reduction is something they would be against. [crying]

Posted on: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:49 am

Please don't make the extra puzzles any harder. I wasn't too happy about the change to the 8x8 exponentiation, but then I didn't really like the 0-5 twin it replaced, so it doesn't make a lot of difference... but please don't make the 10x10 harder than it already is. Thanks.

Posted on: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 am

I propose to cut the puzzles with mod and bitwise OR and make more puzzles from zero: 0-7, 0-8, 0-9, 0-10, 0-11.
This puzzles may be difficult, but at least they are understood by all.
Ciao.

Posted on: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Perhaps there is another possibility: instead of removing puzzles that are quite interesting (this includes the mod, bitwise, those with negative numbers -3 to 3, exponentiation, combined operators, no-op, wider puzzles with 0's or wider subtraction only puzzles, those with negative numbers asymmetric, like the -1 to 4 actually used for bonus puzzles, and other "new" in the future, ...) you could provide 2 or even 3 "extra" puzzles (14 or 21 per week) for subscribers (8 points) leaving the rest accesible to all puzzlers, so non-subscribers have no limitations in the general pool (in this context I think KS's and Sudoku should be always accesible to non-subscribers) and subscribers would have 30 days for the extras in which case that "theorical load" decreases ("less load" in the general pool, "more load" in the extras, but there is much time, even 2 months could be considered, allowing for vacation or "trips around the world" :-)).

With this scheme you would return to the "old philosophy", keeping at least a 12x12 (3 days) once a week, and thinking in the extras not only for the points but also as an experimental area (the site must be "fresh"), and at the same time opening more the range to different types of extra puzzles (twins, 10x10's, etc.). Every subscriber would do them conveniently (either to enjoy them or to get additional points).

Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next