View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Timed puzzles 

Posted on: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:48 am

Post Re: Timed puzzles
clm wrote:
Still having many problems, specially with the 4x4 timed ???, in fact I could not load any of these since Dec 18 (problems with the different attempts of the 5x5's too, but less problems with the 6x6's or the 8x8, in general around a 50% of success more or less), the behaviour is the same with the Explorer and the Chrome in this case.

When you go to www.speedtest.net, and do the test, what speeds does it report for you?

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
Still having many problems, specially with the 4x4 timed ???, in fact I could not load any of these since Dec 18 (problems with the different attempts of the 5x5's too, but less problems with the 6x6's or the 8x8, in general around a 50% of success more or less), the behaviour is the same with the Explorer and the Chrome in this case.

When you go to http://www.speedtest.net, and do the test, what speeds does it report for you?

Patrick

7.92 Mbps download and 3.12 Mbps upload (92 ms) in this moment.

Posted on: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:35 pm

clm wrote:

That is more than enough.

The next thing to try is access the site on a different computer on the same network, if possible.

Posted on: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:

That is more than enough.

The next thing to try is access the site on a different computer on the same network, if possible.

Thanks, I'll see when I can do that, it requires a different computer and to install the same usb modem to compare conditions, ... , I am actually using a portable HP Envy with Windows 8.0, the usb modem is a ZTE Join Air 3G.

By the way, is there any limitation in the timed puzzles pool?, something that could "slow" the "search" for a new one depending on the particular puzzler? (I have sent many in the past ... :-) :-) ).

I do not really understand what happens, certainly a few times I have problems when loading a 6x6 or an 8x8 but not "normally", however, at least in the last days, I can never load a 5x5 or a 4x4, it looks like the problem is going worse since last week I was loading the 5x5 (though twice from the four attempts or so).

Anyway, thank you very much and please do not spend much time with this, I am not very concerned with loosing 60 points per month for the moment.

Posted on: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:24 pm

clm wrote:
Thanks, I'll see when I can do that, it requires a different computer and to install the same usb modem to compare conditions, ... , I am actually using a portable HP Envy with Windows 8.0, the usb modem is a ZTE Join Air 3G.

I'll check if there are any unusual error messages related to your account in the logs.

Posted on: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:41 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:

I'll check if there are any unusual error messages related to your account in the logs.

Well, I have made the required tests using, from a different location, two different computers, a desk PC with Windows 8 and very high speed connection and a portable PC, an HP Pavillion with windows 7 (and also high speed via wifi) and SURPRISE SURPRISE !!!, in both cases, the 4x4 timed is never loaded (“infinite" time), “freezing” the page (as previously explained) in such a way that no more Calcudoku pages can be opened. Problems with the servers … ???. I suggest you simulate the situation from your country using my user and password and see what happens.

The problem looks strangly related to my user name only ???, since no other puzzler has reported something similar and as commented is going worse since now is affecting the 100% of the 5x5 timed attempts, reason why I am not sending points for those and I only can complete the 6x6 and the 8x8 timed.

By the way I am very bad in timed puzzles and perhaps the server does not like my user name, is it time to modify it :-) :-) ?.

Posted on: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:04 pm

clm wrote:
The problem ooks strangly related to my user name only ???, since no other puzzler has reported something similar and as commented is going worse since now is affecting the 100% of the 5x5 timed attempts, reason why I am not sending points for those and I only can complete the 6x6 and the 8x8 timed.

You may be right here. I vaguely remember adding some extra diagnostics code specific
to your account when you first reported problems, possibly that code is still in there and
has unintended consequences... :-/

Edit: the only thing I could find was a different timeout for submitting solutions: 60 seconds for your account
(instead of the default 20 seconds), so that can't be it :(

Edit 2: found the problem: the "pool" of timed puzzles has 5000 puzzles, and for 4x4 you did them all (!)
I remember when creating those pools, thinking "it'll be years before I have to add new ones". Well there you go [biggrin]

Will fix this soon (this evening or tomorrow)

Edit 3: 1000 more 4x4 puzzles have been added to the pool, so you should be good to go again [rolleyes]

Posted on: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:34 pm

This whole muddle uncovered another dormant problem: the test for duplicates
when generating these "timed pool" puzzles was not watertight. The only puzzle
size for which I thought this could be a problem is the 4x4, and that was confirmed:

After checking I found that amongst the 6000 puzzles, there were 84 with a "twin brother",
and 5 triplets [scared]

For the 5x5 there was 1 (one!) pair (none for 6x6 nor 8x8).

All has been fixed now, it is no longer possible to get a timed puzzle you've seen before.. [thumbup]

Posted on: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 pm

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
The problem ooks strangly related to my user name only ???, since no other puzzler has reported something similar and as commented is going worse since now is affecting the 100% of the 5x5 timed attempts, reason why I am not sending points for those and I only can complete the 6x6 and the 8x8 timed.

You may be right here. I vaguely remember adding some extra diagnostics code specific
to your account when you first reported problems, possibly that code is still in there and
has unintended consequences... :-/

Edit: the only thing I could find was a different timeout for submitting solutions: 60 seconds for your account
(instead of the default 20 seconds), so that can't be it :(

Edit 2: found the problem: the "pool" of timed puzzles has 5000 puzzles, and for 4x4 you did them all (!)
I remember when creating those pools, thinking "it'll be years before I have to add new ones". Well there you go [biggrin]

Will fix this soon (this evening or tomorrow)

Edit 3: 1000 more 4x4 puzzles have been added to the pool, so you should be good to go again [rolleyes]

Thank you, everything is now working properly with the 4x4 timed, but the problems continue as previously with the 5x5, there is no way of loading any (perhaps you can simulate it from my user, I guess another pool of 1000? could be added [confused]) .

Posted on: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 am

clm wrote:
Thank you, everything is now working properly with the 4x4 timed, but the problems continue as previously with the 5x5, there is no way of loading any (perhaps you can simulate it from my user, I guess another pool of 1000? could be added [confused]) .

You're absolutely right, you hit the 5000 for the 5x5 as well (I could have seen that coming..)

(for the 6x6 you're 263 attempts away from that mark :)

New puzzles coming up.

Edit: another 1000 5x5 puzzles were added.

Will next do 6x6, then another 4000 of each... [scared] [woot]

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2