View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Older users 

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:41 am

Post Re: Older users
Deciding to never guess is definitely likely to lead to banging your head against the brick wall that occasionally is the FAS method ("full analytical solution" as clm calls it). [blink]

I admit, in my absolute refusal to head down the TaE ("trial and error") path, sometimes I stare at the screen for waaaaaaaaaay too long looking for the logical next step I know to be there.

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:56 am

firefly wrote:
Deciding to never guess is definitely likely to lead to banging your head against the brick wall that occasionally is the FAS method ("full analytical solution" as clm calls it). [blink]

I admit, in my absolute refusal to head down the TaE ("trial and error") path, sometimes I stare at the screen for waaaaaaaaaay too long looking for the logical next step I know to be there.

I like working through variations in my head. In my opinion it's how you solve all types of puzzles like this so I'm unsure how you could possibly avoid it whilst doing these types of puzzles. Harder puzzles = longer variations. You fail if you can't see the problem with all of the nonsolutions correctly.

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:35 am

jaco wrote:
I like working through variations in my head. In my opinion it's how you solve all types of puzzles like this so I'm unsure how you could possibly avoid it whilst doing these types of puzzles. Harder puzzles = longer variations. You fail if you can't see the problem with all of the nonsolutions correctly.
How True!

I do look at the possible variations in my head while looking at the screen and map out the consequences of each move but I can only track it so far and there in lies my problem because I usually end up choosing the wrong initial number.......and in some of the really difficult puzzles I really don't even know where to begin without guessing and so I just have to put it aside and accept that those points are lost.......very frustrating.......lately my time spent is getting way out of hand as I try to reach the 100,000 points and am going to have to cut back and just take a little longer [sad]

Posted on: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:40 pm

I am 55.

I usually manage to get all the puzzles done, probably in 4 hrs or less.

There are days when i do not have the time.

I was grateful when Patrick started allowing us 2 days for the Tues 9 x 9s. But since he did that, I have been able to solve them without needing the extra day.

Posted on: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:55 am

I joined this web site because I wanted to test my limits. Over the years I have not found many individual puzzles that I could not solve. The puzzles I did not solve were only because I ran out of time. I would like to see a special puzzle once a week that instead of testing my time limits, it would test my skill limits. Perhaps a 16 x 16 on the killer platform. Give us 30 days to solve it and if 50 players can solve it, make the next one harder. Keep making this puzzle harder so that only the top 50 can solve it.

Posted on: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:22 am

panther wrote:
Perhaps a 16 x 16 on the killer platform. Give us 30 days to solve it and if 50 players can solve it, make the next one harder. Keep making this puzzle harder so that only the top 50 can solve it.

Very interesting idea, thanks.

Use everybody on the site as guinea pigs in an evil experiment to find the hardest puzzle ever [lol]

(which means, of course, I'll continue until only the top 1 can solve it [scared] )

Posted on: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Wouldn't this strategy also determine the best puzzler on this site?

But, as the heading of this thread is "Older Users", am still waiting for more responses from the +65ers [smile]

Posted on: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:34 am

Well, this older user (soon to be 71) just reached the 100,001 milestone at 15:27 PST......wahooooo [smile] [smile] [smile]

Now, how to cut back and relax a bit more?

Last edited by beaker on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:22 am

beaker wrote:
Well, this older user (soon to be 71) just reached the 100,001 milestone at 15:27 PST......wahooooo [smile] [smile] [smile]
Wow, congratulations! [thumbsup] Including you, only 10 puzzlers at calcudoku.org have ever managed that [thumbup]

beaker wrote:
Now, how to cut back and relax a bit more?
That's a tough one! Maybe we can check into calcudoku rehab together when I reach the big milestone too?

Posted on: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Beaker,

Congratulations on reaching the 100,000 point milestone! As you are still waiting for more responses from 65+ age puzzlers: I am 69, and have been retired for six years (too bad I did not know about the calcudocu.org website until last December!). I guess it's a good thing that I am retired because I spend at least four hours a day on the puzzles. I try to solve slowly but methodically - every puzzle that is 7x7 or larger, I do with pencil & paper (& eraser!). I liked Firefly's comment about not wanting to take the trial & error route. I personally do not like puzzles that require trial & error - if I can't find the logic, I move on (time is precious!). Regards, wjm (Bill)

Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next