View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:28 pm



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 another Calcudoku Advanced book 
Author Message
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm




Posts: 2209
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
 another Calcudoku Advanced book
This one was still in the pipeline, I thought I'd push it through before the holidays as well..:

Image

http://www.amazon.com/Calcudoku-121-Adv ... 1512020176

Then there won't be books for a while: they take a _long_ time to produce [huh]

Next I should make the books that are out of print available as PDF downloads (now that the
framework for this is in place (via http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/buybook)).

Solutions to all puzzles (except the first 10 "warmup" ones) can be submitted for points (12 each) on the site.


Last edited by pnm on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.



Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Posted on: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:50 am




Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm
Post Re: another Calcudoku Advanced book
Another request for reviews on Amazon [biggrin]


If you got the book, can you leave a review?

Many thanks [love]


Profile

Posted on: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 pm




Posts: 693
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: another Calcudoku Advanced book
calcpnm wrote:
Another request for reviews on Amazon [biggrin]


If you got the book, can you leave a review?

Many thanks [love]


I am sure you have observed that puzzle number 34 (exponentiation, page 64), A3E4, is indicating (below) 10x10 puzzle, while it's a 9x9.
And puzzle number 109 (variations, page 156), A3V9, is indicating 8x8 puzzle, while it's a 6x6, so you have small corrections for the next edition :-).

It's a very advanced book, wonderful, some puzzles are really difficult.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:56 pm




Posts: 2209
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: another Calcudoku Advanced book
clm wrote:
I am sure you have observed that puzzle number 34 (exponentiation, page 64), A3E4, is indicating (below) 10x10 puzzle, while it's a 9x9.
And puzzle number 109 (variations, page 156), A3V9, is indicating 8x8 puzzle, while it's a 6x6, so you have small corrections for the next edition :-)

Argh, those slipped through, even after a "manual" check of each puzzle [crying]

Thanks for pointing this out.
clm wrote:
It's a very advanced book, wonderful, some puzzles are really difficult.

Good, if you say this, then they must be difficult indeed [lol]


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:52 pm




Posts: 106
Location: Canada
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 pm
Post Re: another Calcudoku Advanced book
pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
It's a very advanced book, wonderful, some puzzles are really difficult.

Good, if you say this, then they must be difficult indeed [lol]



That is wonderful, "difficult indeed" :j

Actually, what would be wonderful would be our esteemed clm giving us the low down on which puzzles were difficult and which really difficult :)

(I then could leave until some weird masochistic mood strikes me those delicious "really difficult", or until never, whichever comes first:)


Profile

Posted on: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:13 pm




Posts: 693
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: another Calcudoku Advanced book
frederick wrote:
pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
It's a very advanced book, wonderful, some puzzles are really difficult.

Good, if you say this, then they must be difficult indeed [lol]



That is wonderful, "difficult indeed" :j

Actually, what would be wonderful would be our esteemed clm giving us the low down on which puzzles were difficult and which really difficult :)

(I then could leave until some weird masochistic mood strikes me those delicious "really difficult", or until never, whichever comes first:)


Hi, frederick. In general, the difficulty has a subjective component, of course (I have not finished solving all puzzles in the book yet, around the 70%). I do not think the wide puzzles or the variations are the more difficult. However the large modulo, from zero and no-op could reach a really high level of difficulty.

A 10x10 no-op is a typical example of a really difficult. Let's think, for instance, that a "simple" 3-cell cage "4" has: as sum [1,1,2], as product [1,1,4] and [1,2,2], as division [1,1,4] again and [1,2,8], and as a subtraction: [1,1,6], [2,2,8], [3,3,10], [1,2,7], [1,3,8], [1,4,9], [1,5,10], [2,3,9] and [2,4,10], so 13 different combinations.

This is only my opinion (for the moment) with respect to this book.
Really difficult:
Puzzle 49 (A3G4, 9x9 -4 to 4 negative numbers)
Puzzle 50 (A3G5, 11x11 -5 to 5 negative numbers)
Puzzle 58 (A3M18, 10x10 modulo) (the harder I have found to the moment)
Puzzle 62 (A3S12, 8x8 single operator modulo)
Puzzle 67 (A3Z12, 7x7 from zero)
Puzzle 75 (A3Z20, 10x10 from zero)

Very difficult:
Puzzle 91 (A3N6, 8x8 no-op)
Puzzle 92 (A3N7, 9x9 no-op)
Puzzle 93 (A3N8, 9x9 no-op)
Puzzle 94 (A3N9, 10x10 no-op)
Puzzle 95 (A3N10, 10x10 no-op)


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:22 pm




Posts: 106
Location: Canada
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 pm
Post Re: another Calcudoku Advanced book
Thanks clm
Your thoughts are always a great help:)


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.