View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 am



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 what's next? 
Author Message
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:41 am




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: what's next?
frederick wrote:
Edit: Rereading your post re the January issue and seeing again, "and priced as low as possible" I do hope there is some decent return in this price otherwise my aspiration to top up your return would be fallacious.

The royalties are as follows: $0.24 on Amazon US, 1 penny (about $0.015) UK,
and 20 euro cents (about $0.22) EU.

The idea was to make these books as accessible as possible (so no, in this case
not a lot of "topping up", but that is intentional).

Just to make sure people don't feel they have to get the books for the points, I'll drop that option starting the February issue.

Patrick


Last edited by pnm on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Profile

Posted on: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:13 pm




Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:51 pm
Post Re: what's next?
For those who have not joined Amazon Prime, shipping costs more than the magazine. Hopefully the magazines will be available indefinitely so that they can be bundled into other orders.


Profile

Posted on: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: what's next?
pnm wrote:
frederick wrote:
Edit: Rereading your post re the January issue and seeing again, "and priced as low as possible" I do hope there is some decent return in this price otherwise my aspiration to top up your return would be fallacious.

The royalties are as follows: $0.24 on Amazon US, 1 penny (about $0.015) UK,
and 20 euro cents (about $0.22) EU.

The idea was to make these books as accessible as possible (so no, in this case
not a lof of "topping up", but that is intentional).

Just to make sure people don't feel they have to get the books for the points, I'll drop that option starting the February issue.

Patrick


Thank you for the new magazine, I am sure it will be a new challenge as usual, one per month is a hard responsibility (I would have rather suggested one every other month, i.e., but now it's late).

I vote for the idea of awarding points for the difficult ones, in the Calcudoku site (30 per magazine seems OK, one per day, but in this case I would clearly stablish a totally different daily limit for these puzzles, so that the puzzles of the non-periodic books can be sent at the same time, and in order to recover the puzzles of the old magazines).

With respect to the price of the books, ..., perhaps you shoud think of the idea of prepearing new editions, see what is happennig for instance in amazon.es with the "101 Advanced Puzzles" first edition, http://www.amazon.es/Calcudoku-Advanced ... atrick+min , the books brand new around 66 euros and the used books around 56 [thumbsup] [thumbsup] .


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:08 pm




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: what's next?
clm wrote:
see what is happennig for instance in amazon.es with the "101 Advanced Puzzles" first edition, http://www.amazon.es/Calcudoku-Advanced ... atrick+min , the books brand new around 66 euros and the used books around 56 [thumbsup] [thumbsup] .


Not sure why that link is showing those prices, this one:

http://www.amazon.es/CalcuDoku-101-Adva ... 144614349X

shows the regular price.

(and that's also the link from the "Books" page)

Edit 1: yes, I'll probably increase the daily book puzzle limit from 1 to 2.

Edit 2: I sent an inquiry to Amazon about these two pages with different prices.
Edit 3: Amazon confirmed that this was an error, and merged the two pages. Apparently
"Sometimes, when a book is listed by Marketplace sellers, it receives its own Detail page instead of being correctly listed under the original Amazon sales page.".
I suppose it is in their (the other sellers') interest to make the book look rare [glare]


Last edited by pnm on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Profile

Posted on: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:38 pm




Posts: 490
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: what's next?
Would prefer book puzzles with points and not just for the most difficult ones [smile] !


Profile

Posted on: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:24 am




Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 am
Post Re: what's next?
This may be a minor digression, but I've quite liked the puzzles with exponential and modulo operators. Perhaps we could extend this to puzzles with floor, ceiling or log operators as possible variants.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:54 am




Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: what's next?
gp_20017 wrote:
Perhaps we could extend this to puzzles with floor, ceiling or log operators as possible variants.

Interesting ideas, thanks [thumbup]

So division with floor/ceiling (assuming that's what you mean).

For log there are limited options it looks like, e.g. clue is "4 log" in a 16x16 puzzle, answer must be 2 and 16,
because log (base 2) of 16 = 4 ?

Patrick


Profile

Posted on: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:59 am




Posts: 490
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: what's next?
OMG!!!.....Pardon my ignorance, but what does a floor or a ceiling have to do with Math and I always thought a log was something you burned in a fireplace [huh]


Profile

Posted on: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:59 am




Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 am
Post Re: what's next?
Quote:
Interesting ideas, thanks [thumbup]

So division with floor/ceiling (assuming that's what you mean).

For log there are limited options it looks like, e.g. clue is "4 log" in a 16x16 puzzle, answer must be 2 and 16,
because log (base 2) of 16 = 4 ?

Patrick


Yes, that's what I had in mind, i.e. floor(9/5=1.8) = 1 and ceiling(9/5=1.8) = 2. With ceilings/floors, there are definitely a lot of combinations.

While logs are a bit of a stretch, I though they might add an extra dimension to other puzzles. I think it would work, if, for example, the clue was "0 log", then you would know that it contained a 1. Or in let's say a 9x9 puzzle with clues like "2 log", there would be two combinations - (2,4) and (3, 9) - for a two-celled region. You could possibly have a three-celled region with "1 log" and combinations like (2,3,8) and (2,2,4) (log_3(log_2(8)) = 1; log_2(log_2(4))=1) in the same spirit as you've done exponentials where we read from right to left. I do agree that logs would work best in larger puzzles - but I think a few creative things can be done.


Profile

Posted on: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:07 am




Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 am
Post Re: what's next?
Quote:
OMG!!!.....Pardon my ignorance, but what does a floor or a ceiling have to do with Math and I always thought a log was something you burned in a fireplace [huh]


The floor function takes a number, x, and rounds it down to the largest integer less than or equal to x; the ceiling function takes a number, x, and rounds it up to the largest integer greater than or equal to x.

The logarithm is quite natural if you're familiar with exponentials - it is the inverse operation, i.e. exp(log(x)) = log(exp(x)) = x (if real-valued, x>0). But, like taking an exponential, it depends on the base. You might by abuse of notation (this is not used!) say exp_2(5) = 2^5 = 32, whence log_2(32) = 5.


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.