View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Shockwave Flash crashing 

Posted on: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Post Shockwave Flash crashing
A few minutes after the new puzzles appear every day, the screen starts to lag massively behind the keys (so it takes a lot longer, and is much less fun, to solve) and then a message comes up saying the shockwave flash has crashed. This is probably because of all the people solving the puzzles as soon as the appear, but also after the flash crashes, it starts to work perfectly fine again. Is this just happening on my computer, or does it happen to others?

Posted on: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:26 am

Post Re: Shockwave Flash crashing
marblevolcano wrote:
A few minutes after the new puzzles appear every day, the screen starts to lag massively behind the keys (so it takes a lot longer, and is much less fun, to solve) and then a message comes up saying the shockwave flash has crashed.

The site itself doesn't use Flash (which is junk software that should have been abandoned years ago anyway),
but some ad providers still do :-(

An option is to install the "Flashblock" plugin for your browser (available for Firefox and Chrome at least I think)
(and as far as I know Chrome uses its own Flash player, which probably is more stable).

Let me know how this works out,

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 am

I removed this add-in, it didn't word fine with Firefox.
Then I set add-in Shockwave Flash to 'ask to activate'. That works well, although I have to click now many times on other sites [bored] .

Posted on: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:54 am

nicow wrote:
Then I set add-in Shockwave Flash to 'ask to activate'. That works well, although I have to click now many times on other sites [bored] .

At least for Flashblock you can specify a "whitelist" (so for example, always just play Youtube videos)

Posted on: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks! I'll try it, although I am pretty much technologically inept [glare]

Posted on: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:13 pm

If you're thirteen, then "technologically inept" is an oxymoron from the vantage point of this old person.

Posted on: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:03 pm

sjs34 wrote:
If you're thirteen, then "technologically inept" is an oxymoron from the vantage point of this old person.

No, really! I have almost no idea how phones work, and I only use computers to search stuff, do puzzles, etc. I am clueless how to fix problems [confused]

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]