View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 what's your handedness? 

Posted on: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:28 pm

what's your handedness?
Specifically for the people who often end up in the top 10 of the timed puzzles:
are you left- or right-handed??

edit: 2nd question, which hand is on the number keys,
and which on the arrow keys?

(assuming here you use a keyboard)

Last edited by pnm on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Post Re: what's your handedness?
Right-handed

Edit: My left hand is on the numbers and my right hand is on the arrow keys.

Last edited by jpoos on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:02 am

I am right handed.
The number keys are on my left hand, and the arrow keys are on my right hand.

Posted on: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:20 am

I'm right-handed too.

Edit: And my right hand is on the arrow keys, left hand on the numbers.

Posted on: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:08 am

I'm a lefty - also using right hand on the arrow keys and left hand for the numbers across the top of my laptop.

Posted on: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 pm

I don't think I count in this discussion as I only end up in the top ten on 8x8s and only about twice a week at that. For the record, though, I am right-handed with left hand on the numbers and right hand on the arrow keys. I have a hard time imagining anyone doing it other than left hand on numbers and right hand on arrow keys given the layout of most keyboards (which is all that I am familiar with) but perhaps life is different on some non keyboarded options.

Posted on: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi,
right-handed in my case: cursor, but also filling numbers. Left hand seems to me like something extraneous. [biggrin]

Posted on: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm right-handed. I use a full-sized PC keyboard (not a laptop or touch-screen one) with my left hand on the arrow keys and my right hand on the number keys – apparently unlike anybody else here [confused] When I only have a laptop keyboard handy, I switch to using my left hand for the numbers across the top of the keyboard and my right hand for the arrow keys – which slows me down considerably [crying]

Really surprised and impressed to hear that right-handed speed devils like jpoos and angryclown can be so fast even though they have to control ten different, inconveniently placed keys with their left hand [woot] [thumbup] I dare not think about how fast you'd all be if you were using a full-sized keyboard and got some practice using the numeric keypad [scared]

Posted on: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:31 pm

bram wrote:
I'm right-handed. I use a full-sized PC keyboard (not a laptop or touch-screen one) with my left hand on the arrow keys and my right hand on the number keys – apparently unlike anybody else here [confused] When I only have a laptop keyboard handy, I switch to using my left hand for the numbers across the top of the keyboard and my right hand for the arrow keys – which slows me down considerably [crying]

Really surprised and impressed to hear that right-handed speed devils like jpoos and angryclown can be so fast even though they have to control ten different, inconveniently placed keys with their left hand [woot] [thumbup] I dare not think about how fast you'd all be if you were using a full-sized keyboard and got some practice using the numeric keypad [scared]

I do have a full-sized keyboard at my disposal, and I think I've tried to use it the way you do a few times. From what I remember, it felt quite awkward as the numbers are placed somewhat unnaturally, but I'm guessing I could get used to that if needed. I don't think the different setups would make much of a difference though (I can pretty much reach every number in an instant with my setup), especially not on the smaller puzzles.
Nevertheless, maybe I should try to get used it for a little bit, and see what times it gives me ^^

Posted on: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm right-handed. I usually solve on a laptop keyboard and use what seems to be the standard approach - left hand 'at home' on the 1 through 4 keys above q,w,e,r; right hand on the arrow keys. For the 5x5 and 6x6 my index finger is used for 4, 5 and 6. For the 8x8 the left hand will roam across 1 to 8 as needed.

When using a full keyboard the same approach holds except for the 8x8. Sometimes I used the 10-key number pad with my right hand but still control the arrows with that same hand. I've tried using my left hand on the arrow keys but found it awkward to have the two hands so close - particularly the left wrist.

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]