View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:37 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Bonus Puzzles 

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 am

Post Bonus Puzzles
My latest bonus puzzle was a -1 to +4 and it took me a little over 33.5 minutes .....not exactly what I would call a "reward puzzle" as that is how I view the bonus puzzle........I view it as a "reward" for having done enough puzzles to qualify for the bonus.........now, my preference would be to have the "reward" puzzle be a normal twin, a no-op twin or a no-op regular.......something that is not as challenging as the main stream puzzles yet still requires a certain amount of logic to solve

Last edited by beaker on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:43 am

Post Re: Bonus Puzzles
What do people think?

Which type of puzzle is a "reward" puzzle and which one more of a punishment? [scared]

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 am

Twin puzzles are reward puzzles.

No-ops can be either fairly easy or very difficult.

The ones I tend to struggle with are those with negative numbers. The cages with subtraction always tie me up in knots.

For the record, I agree with beaker than bonus puzzles should be kept relatively easy.

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 pm

I don't really mind difficult bonus puzzles every once in a while, especially since there's no deadline on when to solve them.
But I can understand the sentiment.

Personally, twin puzzles feel the most satisfying to me, probably because they tend to be incredibly easy, and puzzles with 0's or negative number tend to annoy me (maybe because typing isn't as fast on those since the 0 and the - keys are out of the way).

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm

jpoos wrote:
I don't really mind difficult bonus puzzles every once in a while, especially since there's no deadline on when to solve them.

Actually, that's not 100% accurate. While there's no specific deadline for solving a bonus puzzle, only your most recent bonus puzzle is available. So you will lose a bonus puzzle if you don't use it before you earn your next bonus. For someone who scores as many points as you do, that's a turnaround time of 2 to 3 days.

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 pm

A few questions for Patrick:

How are Bonus puzzles assigned?
Does everyone do the same puzzles in the same order? Or do all the people who do attain the privilege of a bonus puzzle on the same day get the same puzzle?

How can an individual know if they somehow missed a bonus puzzle? I know I have come close to missing them when I havent paid attention for a few days.

Last edited by eclipsegirl on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 pm

I (being a nonsubscriber of course) like the additional types of puzzles brought on by the bonuses - I wouldn't normally get to do them, and it gives me a chance to try new types of puzzles. However, I think they should be a little easier than the usual puzzles of the types given.

Posted on: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 am

From the you-can't-please-everybody camp, I like the more challenging bonus puzzles and tend not to like the twin puzzles as they are generally too easy. I guess I'd rather have the challenge than easy points, but since I think the bonus puzzles are 10 points anyway, it makes sense they be challenging.

Perhaps having some way to access all unsolved bonus puzzles would help, though I know I tend to do them as soon as I notice them to clear the treasure chest (or box) image.

Posted on: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 am

wjgjr wrote:
Perhaps having some way to access all unsolved bonus puzzles would help, though I know I tend to do them as soon as I notice them to clear the treasure chest (or box) image.

I think that's a good suggestion. As someone who tries to solve all the puzzles each time, but sometimes struggles to do do, having a bit more time would help. Would it be possible to have the same access as applies to extra puzzles - I.e. 30 days for subscribers? Or would the fact that they are not actually dated make this impossible?

Alternatively, could it be changed so that the last x bonus puzzles can be accessed?

Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]