View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Using 'bold' 

Posted on: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Post Using 'bold'
If I'm doing larger puzzles (9x9 upwards), I generally bold the cells that I am sure of. If I get stuck and have to do scenario testing, I generally don't bold the new entries (so that I can use delete all non bolded if I get stuck), but sometimes I will go back and bold them if it looks fairly certain I'm on the right track.

For smaller puzzles, I generally don't use bold unless I get really stuck and then I will often start from scratch and bold cells as I go along.

I was just wondering what other people do.

Posted on: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Post Re: Using 'bold'
I simply save the puzzle before I start scenario testing

Posted on: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:26 am

I also save my puzzles before I guess. Then I use bold to mark my guess, as I don't want to forget which numbre I guessed.

Posted on: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:30 am

rafaelhoukes wrote:
I also save my puzzles before I guess. Then I use bold to mark my guess, as I don't want to forget which numbre I guessed.

That's an excellent idea! I always save before guessing, but sometimes I forget what number I guessed if it takes a long time before I run into a dead end.

One other time that I use bold selectively is in puzzles with zero. Sometimes I just bold the zeros.

Posted on: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:46 am

With the puzzles with zero, always bold the zero's and I try to figure them out 1st if possible.
I never use the pencil mode only the bold mode in any of my trial and error strategies.

Posted on: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:06 pm

I do exactly the opposite, actually :-)
When I am sure of something, I just write it in, but when scenario testing, I bold the first number of the scenario so if it turns out wrong, I just backspace until I reach that point, or I highlight everything in the scenario. I think it works better because it helps you focus on what you are trying to do rather than what you have already done.

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]