View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 brownish bar at top 

Posted on: Sun May 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Post brownish bar at top
I have a brownish/orange bar across the page near the top of page where the list of puzzles should be and when a puzzle appears, the points indicated for each puzzle is zero and the number of completions is also zero....... [confused]

Posted on: Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Post Re: brownish bar at top
I see the same thing. While I am guessing the bar itself is intended as a new feature, there are a number of problems, including what you noted, and there are a number of issues with accessing older puzzles. For example, this extra puzzle:

http://www.calcudoku.org/en/2017-04-29/extra

for me includes a 1x1 cage with "99x" as the total, among a number of impossible combinations for a normal 6x6 puzzle.

Overall, I really do not like having to use a dropdown to see the day's puzzles. Since I don't do them all at once, don't always like do them in order, and don't always plan to do them all, I like to be able to glance at the list any time and choose the next puzzle without extra hovers/clicks. It also makes finding the older puzzles more difficult (like the 15x15 puzzle from a week ago that I haven't completed yet.)

Posted on: Sun May 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Yes, I now see the "dropdown" on the left of the page and I too do not like having to do the drop down every time I need to look for my next puzzle to solve.......why was there a change?

Posted on: Sun May 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Like Beaker, I would like to just be able to look at the screen and not use a drop down menu to go to the next puzzle. It will slow some of us down.

I would like to know why the two puzzles that are given for subscribers are gray rather than black. (For non subscribers, the EXTRA puzzle, the one the subscribers have one month do is listed in black as Extra.) The underlined check for completion is sufficient for me to understand what that the puzzles were the extras.

ETA: Maybe this new feature can be put into our Settings page? For some of us who like the old system, we can just set it to old way. I rather like seeing the row of little green boxes when I have completed the day's puzzles.

ETA -2: I figured it out why there is gray vs black. The list appears to everyone whether or not they are subscriber.. I have to assume that the Extra puzzle appears as gray to non - subscribers. Yes, I can be a bit slow. Sometimes, I need to work it out some issue / problem for myself.

Last edited by eclipsegirl on Mon May 08, 2017 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on: Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 am

It's time for the puzzles to change for the day. The list of puzzles indicate I have not solved them yet though I have. The puzzles for 5/8 are the same as 5/7.

Oops - they changed. Just 15 minutes later than usual.

Posted on: Mon May 08, 2017 1:04 am

Just solved the 1st twin 6x6 and looked up at the bar and it indicated I had completed it but it also indicated zero users had solved puzzle [confused]

Posted on: Mon May 08, 2017 1:43 am

I wasn't sure whether or not I'd done my current bonus puzzle. In the past, if you clicked on the bonus puzzle, it would tell you if you had already solved it. When I clicked on it just now, it didn't say that it had already been solved, so I completed the puzzle. A message came up saying that I had previously solved the puzzle.

Only took a few minutes, but annoying nonetheless.

Posted on: Mon May 08, 2017 1:46 am

paulv66, not only the bonus puzzle. Seems like the warning «Note that you have already solved this puzzle» is completely gone. It is not necessary for today's puzzles, since there are those green checkmarks, but I can't figure out whether I finished solving yesterday's 12×12 or not [confused]

Profile WWW

Posted on: Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 am

ambidexter wrote:
but I can't figure out whether I finished solving yesterday's 12×12 or not [confused]

Ah, good point, thanks.

I'll put the message up again.

There are quite a few more glitches [scared]

ok yesterday's extra 6x6 "no-op" is showing operators
ok wrong size shown for extra puzzle in the puzzle menu, causing the old number pad to have the wrong number of buttons (the new one is ok)
- date + calendar not aligned properly
ok "solved # times so far" still broken for twin puzzles
ok subscriber-only puzzles greyed out in list also for subscribers
ok puzzle rating etc. drops to next line for older puzzles (prob. because 'Show solution' extra space taken)
ok e.g. on http://www.calcudoku.org/en/2017-05-05/6/1, extra space at "Killer Sudoku Medium" in puzzle menu
ok green checkmark should appear when puzzle is solved
ok re-instate "already solved" message

Ideally I rework and clean up the code behind the puzzle page, and nicely separate out parameter checks,
data retrieval, and visualization..

The purpose of this "brownish bar" (orange? [lol] ) is to clean up the interface, save some space,
and to have the same code for desktop/tablet/phone.

Patrick

Last edited by pnm on Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 am, edited 14 times in total.

Posted on: Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am

Not directly relevant to the issue at hand, but why are you posting under a new username Patrick?

Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next