View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 which puzzle should be the first puzzle? 

Posted on: Mon May 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Post Re: which puzzle should be the first puzzle?
I like the idea of being able to choose between these options. I usually start with the 4x4 easy like most people, but it would certainly be cool to have a menu with all of them shown. Before the dropdown menu appeared, I didn't even use the "next unsolved puzzle" button, but now I use it always, so I think showing the next unsolved puzzle is a good idea too.

In conclusion, I think it would be best to have it as an account option.

I like arguing, so I just argued all the good sides of everything [tongue]

Posted on: Tue May 23, 2017 1:02 am

Also, just saying but I liked it when the green bar was still there when you were doing timed puzzles. When I give up on a puzzle ( [confused] ) I like to just go to the top and click where I want to go, which is often the forum or the "timed puzzles" button (again because I might just want to check or do other puzzles). Could you maybe reinstate it over the timed puzzles?

Posted on: Tue May 30, 2017 7:18 pm

mparisi wrote:
I vote for the next unsolved puzzle of the day, which usually would be the 4x4 easy.
Yes, this ought to be the default option for logged-in users [smile]

Part of my reason for liking this option is that I usually "exercise" by solving the ordinary (non-timed) calcudokus of a given size before solving the timed ones of the same size. It would be neat if you could solve all of the ordinary 4x4s, switch to the timed puzzles, solve all of the timed 4x4s, return to the ordinary puzzles and then immediately be presented with the 5x5 easy (or the 6x6 easy if there aren't any ordinary 5x5s that day) without have to use the menu [thumbup]

Sometimes, if the most difficult ordinary puzzle of a given size is of a quirky kind that isn't found among the timed puzzles (e g negative numbers, patterned 6x6), I may prefer to solve it only after I've solved the timed puzzles of the same size. In that case the "next unsolved" option would automatically present me with that puzzle when I returned to the ordinary puzzles so I could be done with that size before going on the next size. Just perfect [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Posted on: Tue May 30, 2017 10:36 pm

bram wrote:
mparisi wrote:
Part of my reason for liking this option is that I usually "exercise" by solving the ordinary (non-timed) calcudokus of a given size before solving the timed ones of the same size.

What I usually do is I just go through all the regular puzzles until I reach something that will take some thinking [biggrin] Then I do all of my timed puzzles at once before doing the really big or tough puzzles.

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:00 am

Looking at all these responses, everyone seems to have a different way of starting their daily puzzles.....ergo, I think Patrick should just leave the drop down menu as is without any changes [thumbsup]

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 am

I think Patrick should change it so the 4 x 4 easy is the default and should allow people to customize if it from the default if they so choose.

I am being a pain in the ass to beaker who I consider a friend. [biggrin]
Patrick should find out how many start with the 4 x 4 easy or the 6 x 6 easy. I do not blame him for not having the data analytics at hand, He is asking us as a community for our voice - so please chime in!

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

I usually start with the 4x4 easy and work my way up. But it doesn't bother me that this doesn't come up as the default option.

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Patrick: Do you have (or can you get) data as to where people actually start?

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:47 pm

diane123 wrote:
Patrick: Do you have (or can you get) data as to where people actually start?

Yes, solved puzzles are stored in the database (of course), with a timestamp,
so I could plot for each puzzle how often it is solved first.

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 7:15 pm

marblevolcano wrote:
bram wrote:
mparisi wrote:
Part of my reason for liking this option is that I usually "exercise" by solving the ordinary (non-timed) calcudokus of a given size before solving the timed ones of the same size.

What I usually do is I just go through all the regular puzzles until I reach something that will take some thinking [biggrin] Then I do all of my timed puzzles at once before doing the really big or tough puzzles.

I do this exact same thing :-) And I'm quite used to the easiest 6x6 being the first puzzle I do everyday. That's how i usually know I'm not logged in, if the first puzzle is a 4x4 instead of the 6x6.

But I do like the idea that there was a "homepage" where you could see a thumbnail of the puzzles and which ones were solved. And I do have to say I miss the old puzzle bar up top [sad]

Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next