View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Blind spot 

Posted on: Sun May 21, 2017 1:05 am

Post Re: Blind spot
Congratultions on the solve. You must be the #9. I would like to contact you through private e-mail, but I don't know how to use that option.

I haven't looked at the puzzle in several months. I completed 10 out of 11 of the series, so B34V6 still remains.

Posted on: Sun May 21, 2017 3:39 am

Figuring out the PM system can be tricky.

When you get in to the forums, on the top is a line / bar of buttons. It starts with User Control panel, then # new messages, FAQ etc.

Click on New Messages. Hopefully my new message is there.

If it is, you should be able to read it and find a reply button. Easy Peasy.

If not...
On the left side of the screen is a box where you can type my screen name for recipient, and in the center is where you can put the message.

ETA: It is my sense of order. Or call it OCD.
I prefer to finish a complete set of puzzles or a whole book.
It drives me nuts to have a puzzle not finished, hence my concentration / dedication to this puzzle right now. Good timing for the both of us.
For you, I will not only save the solution, but also the few pages of notes on my logical reasoning.
When you are ready, I will be ready, too.

When there is a tough one in a set or book, it stalls me. I can't move on. It is a personal hinderance.
Right now, I am trying to finish up sets or books that I previously started.
Then I can move on to something new.

Posted on: Sun May 21, 2017 1:12 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
When there is a tough one in a set or book, it stalls me. I can't move on. It is a personal hinderance.

I have had quite a few book puzzles that have stymied me. When this happens, I replicate the puzzle on a spreadsheet so that I can play around with it and try out various scenarios. It can still take several attempts before I finally get there and, although I haven't been keeping track, I'd say there are a few puzzles that took me several hours in total to solve.

I currently have 5 books on the go - the 3 advanced puzzle books and the 2 killer sudoku books. I've done the bulk of book one, about 70% of book two and about 35% of book three. I've only done a few of the killer sudoku puzzles and this was at a time I was really struggling with the advanced puzzles and decided a change of scenery would be good for me.

Posted on: Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 pm

paulv66 wrote:
eclipsegirl wrote:

I have had quite a few book puzzles that have stymied me. When this happens, I replicate the puzzle on a spreadsheet so that I can play around with it and try out various scenarios. It can still take several attempts before I finally get there and, although I haven't been keeping track, I'd say there are a few puzzles that took me several hours in total to solve.

I currently have 5 books on the go - the 3 advanced puzzle books and the 2 killer sudoku books. I've done the bulk of book one, about 70% of book two and about 35% of book three. I've only done a few of the killer sudoku puzzles and this was at a time I was really struggling with the advanced puzzles and decided a change of scenery would be good for me.

I have solved all but one of the point bearing puzzles in Advanced Puzzles Volume I. I have been working on the one remaining puzzle (B4M18) on and off for the best part of a week and keep getting stuck. I've tried doing it very slowly and methodically, but each time I eventually reach an impasse. [cursing] I've concluded that I must be making an unwarranted assumption at some point, but haven't been able to figure out what it is. I'm going to leave it for a while and go back to it in a couple of days, as it is currently preventing me from solving any other book puzzles.

I'm just wondering if this is a puzzle that others have found difficult. Patrick, has it had an unusually low number of solvers?

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:05 am

Arghh! I was so busy doing book puzzles that I forgot I hadn't done the day's timed puzzles until around 5 minutes to midnight (11 pm Irish time). I got the 3 small sizes done, but that's another lost point. [cursing]

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:31 am

been there......frustrating......today I finished the 8x8 with 1 min. to spare.....too close!!!

Posted on: Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 am

beaker wrote:
been there......frustrating......today I finished the 8x8 with 1 min. to spare.....too close!!!

I think I finished the 6x6 with less than 10 seconds to spare. Funny how difficult it is to think straight when you are about to run out of time. I'm going to do today's timed puzzles now (one of each) to ensure I don't make the same mistake today.

Posted on: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:39 pm

I finally managed to complete b4m18 today! [biggrin] I'd say I must have spent well over 10 hours in total working on it. [blush] I decided to start again from scratch and go really slowly, checking every single step for unjustified assumptions. I'd say it took me about 30 minutes to complete, bearing in mind that I was able to fill in quite a few of the cells straight away.

So that's Advanced Puzzles I completed (all the puzzles worth points, that is). Still 30 puzzles left to do in book II and 64 in book III, plus most of the two killer sudoku books and 9 of the 50 holiday puzzles.

Posted on: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:13 pm

paulv66 wrote:
paulv66 wrote:
I'm just wondering if this is a puzzle that others have found difficult. Patrick, has it had an unusually low number of solvers?

It's low alright.
You're the 3rd solver of this puzzle of 2017 [scared]

Posted on: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:09 pm

pnm wrote:
paulv66 wrote:
paulv66 wrote:

It's low alright.
You're the 3rd solver of this puzzle of 2017 [scared]

Thanks Patrick. That's pretty low alright!

Out of interest, how many people have solved all the puzzles in AP I?

Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next