View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 More calcudolics, please 

Posted on: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Post Re: More calcudolics, please
jomapil wrote:
I think there isn't any publicity about Calcudoku and most of the people arrive here by chance ( as me ). Each of us must do the required publicity. By example at the several foruns we participate we can write our signature ( I think it is so called ) as http://www.calcudoku.org. This will go to kindle the interest of many people. From now on I will do this in all " my " foruns.

Thank you, much appreciated :-)
Patrick

Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Teaching "an old dog new tricks" is my problem.......I printed off the "solution possibilities for the mod and bitwise" post and still couldn't do the next mod puzzle......I think I have good basic math skills but have trouble with the 7x7. 8x8, and 9x9's when there are not alot of multiplications involved.....for me the multiplications help in cutting down the variables for the other required procedures........by the way, for those of us in N. America, we had an extra hour the other day due to Europe going off DST and will probably be getting another hour when we drop DST......but, remember that sometime in the spring we will lose an hour for solving on 2 different occassions :!: :!:
I think I'm confused....do we gain another hour or lose the hour we've gained :?: :?: :?:

Last edited by beaker on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Oh, forgot one other thing......I leave completed and uncompleted puzzles where ever I go (motels, resorts, restaurants, etc) in hopes that others will see them and be intrigued enough to try them and then register on the site....I also try to get some of the high school students and teachers (that I see on occassion) to try them :D

Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 pm

beaker wrote:
Oh, forgot one other thing......I leave completed and uncompleted puzzles where ever I go (motels, resorts, restaurants, etc) in hopes that others will see them and be intrigued enough to try them and then register on the site....I also try to get some of the high school students and teachers (that I see on occassion) to try them :D

Thanks to you also :)
I think that the "old style media" are still the best for publishing puzzles.
So hopefully a publisher will pick up a puzzle that you leave :)

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 am

beaker wrote:
Teaching "an old dog new tricks" is my problem.......I printed off the "solution possibilities for the mod and bitwise" post and still couldn't do the next mod puzzle......I think I have good basic math skills but have trouble with the 7x7. 8x8, and 9x9's when there are not alot of multiplications involved.....for me the multiplications help in cutting down the variables for the other required procedures........by the way, for those of us in N. America, we had an extra hour the other day due to Europe going off DST and will probably be getting another hour when we drop DST......but, remember that sometime in the spring we will lose an hour for solving on 2 different occassions :!: :!:
I think I'm confused....do we gain another hour or lose the hour we've gained :?: :?: :?:

I didn't notice the other day because I was busy until later but today I can't do the new puzzles. I have to wait another hour after the "normal" time before the new puzzles come out...

Posted on: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:15 am

beaker wrote:
Teaching "an old dog new tricks" is my problem.......I printed off the "solution possibilities for the mod and bitwise" post and still couldn't do the next mod puzzle......I think I have good basic math skills but have trouble with the 7x7. 8x8, and 9x9's when there are not alot of multiplications involved.....for me the multiplications help in cutting down the variables for the other required procedures...

The table is only a little help to avoid forgetting some of the possible combinations. Generally speaking, the tips are more interesting. In the case of the bitwise OR a good strategy may be to position the higher numbers like the 8's (inside "n|" cages where n > 8 or outside m| cages where m < 8). But, inversely, in the mod function some times (not always) a good strategy may be to position the lower numbers, i.e., the 1's, that we know can not go inside an xmod cage if x > 1. But this must be used in additon to the other tools. In the last thursday's, Oct 27, there were 5 cages "1mod" creating some more uncertainty with respect to the position of the 1's, i.e., though b8 = 5 (only position for a 5 in the column b) (and a8 = 6 necessarily) reducing that number of cages to 4. In the particular case of row 2, obviously the 1 must be inside the cage "0mod" in e2-f2 (another 1 is in b1-c1, in row 1, etc...). Certainly all variables must be considered for all types of cages, "n+", "n-", nx", n:", apart of the "xmod" and "y|", etc., and some times we must carefully consider before supressing one by one the non-valid combinations.

Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2