View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 8x8 timed 

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Post Re: 8x8 timed
paulv66 wrote:
I guess my priorities are different to yours. If I get stuck, I start all over again and keep going even if it takes 20 minutes or more. Mind you, I only do that on the 8x8 or on the smaller puzzles if I have already quit out of 3 previous attempts.

I guess so. My priority is getting a fast time rather than getting points, even though the former usually results in the latter. If I mess up and realise im most likely not getting more than 2 points, then you might as well get 0 points...

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Look forward to it marblevolcano.......I will be going on holidays in July.......however, when we do go on holidays, I try to do as much as possible and then just leave the rest.......I don't save them for later.....,maybe I should try that this year........noooooooI do not think so [smile] ......my day totals will definitely diminish [thumbup] note the sunglasses!!!

Holidays cancelled due to smoke of forest fires.....would adversely affect my COPD [cursing]

Last edited by beaker on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 pm

When I am on vacation, I do not worry about daily totals. I know that I will not be able to complete every puzzle like I am able to do when at home.

I can spend the limited time that I have on a daily puzzle instead of the Extra puzzle.

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Now I see what you mean because the list of unsolved extras is always there for the past month!!!

Posted on: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 am

now you understand my thinking. (Hey Patrick, I have asked for a 'Namaste / Thank You'' icon. How about a 'Wink' icon?)

Not saying I am right, it just works for me.

When on vacation:
Work only on the dailies.
Wait til you return home to work on the Extras.

If being on top is important to you, almost solve the extras - I leave one cell clear.
Solve all of your waiting extras this way, and turn them in all at once.

Caveats:
My vacation are usually 3 weeks or less.
That can mean doing two 15 x 15 puzzles. That can be an issue for some.

Caveats part 2: For Me Only:
I worry about points.
I watch other players in the USA (my country).
I know I will never beat 'mparisi.' But I still strive to be the best I can be.
Even being one of the worst people at timed puzzles. [biggrin]

Posted on: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 am

Eclipsegirl: 1st off there is a wink icon ( [wink] ).......being on top isn't all that important because it isn't really real......have been there in the past when we could submit as many book puzzles in a day as we could......15x15's are out as I just can't spend the hours doing them only to find out that I made a mistake somewhere and of course no points......12x12's aren't much better......I do like the -3 to +3 7 grid puzzles as they scare the heck out of me but for some reason I CAN do them.....the holiday this year will be 2 weeks in the Okanagan where my wife will be able to visit an awful lot of wineries (I am allergic to the sulphites in the wine so she samples and I drive) [biggrin]

Posted on: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am

eclipsegirl wrote:
now you understand my thinking. (Hey Patrick, I have asked for a 'Namaste / Thank You'' icon.

I recently (by accident, was fixing something else) found how to add/change the icons, will see what I can do...

Posted on: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm

@ Patrick - Thank you

@ beaker - I am blind. [wink] Too many icons / emojis to sort through. I wish I could help you get through those larger puzzles. I agree they take time. I have improved my ability to get it right the first time.

The only puzzles I dread these days - are a specific pattern of the 9 x 9 on Tues, one pattern that thankfully Patrick does not use often and the Difficult Killer Sudoku on Fri.

Have fun on vacation. You are a gentleman for driving, while your wife relaxes.

Posted on: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
@ Patrick - Thank you

@ beaker - I am blind. [wink] Too many icons / emojis to sort through. I wish I could help you get through those larger puzzles. I agree they take time. I have improved my ability to get it right the first time.

Here's the new one:

[namaste]

Posted on: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Thank you [namaste]

Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next