View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 top times over, well, time 

Posted on: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Post top times over, well, time
Now that tweaks to the new site design are slowing down (kudos on the new look, btw) I have an idle request, Patrick. I'm wondering if you could share some graphs of how the fastest timed puzzle solutions each day have trended downward over the years as folks get better and better at solving them. And maybe graphing the 5th and 10th best times as well, since back in the day plotting best times would just be sheldolina's daily time, or possibly starling's, and nowadays it would be jpoos' daily best.

I've been curious about this for two reasons:
1) I remember back when I started, wondering how the fastest solvers could be so fast. Occasionally a new thread would pop up questioning how it was at all possible. Now that times are even faster, new solvers must be even more amazed.
2) I've never been the fastest solver, but it used to be that if my 4x4 was at or slightly over 10 seconds I'd get an extra point. Likewise 30 seconds for the 5x5 and 60 seconds for the 6x6. That's no longer the case. I'd like to see how that threshold has progressed.

Thanks, jaek

Posted on: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Post Re: top times over, well, time
jaek wrote:
2) I've never been the fastest solver, but it used to be that if my 4x4 was at or slightly over 10 seconds I'd get an extra point. Likewise 30 seconds for the 5x5 and 60 seconds for the 6x6. That's no longer the case. I'd like to see how that threshold has progressed.

I agree - it seems like even in the relatively short amount of time I've been here, the threshold for 4x4 has dropped from around 9.5 all the way down to 8.5 or even lower, and similar for the other sizes as well.

Posted on: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:57 pm

I would love to see some graphs [biggrin]

Posted on: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:26 am

I LOVE GRAPHS!!!!

Probably most people here love graphs, because, you know... it's a MATH website... but still, graphs are pret-ty cool... [biggrin]

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]