View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:21 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Connection issues / timeouts 

Posted on: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

Post Connection issues / timeouts
Is it me, or is there an issue with the server (I am located in Kenya)? Or it simply a connection issue.

Whenever I solve a puzzle in the last few days, I get all kind of time-out errors. Subsequently, I have to wait for minutes, before I actually get to the page that I want to access. So doing puzzles quickly is next to impossible. And on some occassions, the submitted completed puzzle does get registered, but sometimes not. So I have to keep all windows open, until I can actually confirm that the solution I submitted has been registered. Today the difficult 8x8 bugged out on me, so I had to resubmit the solution - luckily I had kept the window with the solution open, as it would have taken me some time, to redo that puzzle.

This makes it really annoying to do puzzles, as sometimes the save puzzle feature does not work either (which means that I often have to restart puzzles from scratch). I think I also missed out on a bonus-point for a 5x5 timed puzzle due to that.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Posted on: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 am

Post Re: Connection issues / timeouts
Thanks for reporting.

It seems to be an intermittent problem
that happens more and more [confused]

(more people have reported this)

I'm thinking it's a database issue, I'll start doing some tests.

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:59 am

Not sure if this helps:

With this timeout issue, whenever I go to the rankings page, I get country specific results (for Kenya). No one but the Kenyan user(s) show up. I'd have to pick an option like "Extra" for other users to show up. The results display correctly if I toggle back to "All" after that, with everybody showing up.

Posted on: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:08 am

I am also posting on the wrong forum. My problem is that no longer seem to be able to save a puzzle. I often get interrupted and have to leave a puzzle unfinished. This means that I have to start over . Some times several times. I have not found a way to save on the new format. Can any one help?

Posted on: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm now working on the "book history page is very slow" problem

(from the list at: viewtopic.php?p=6881#p6881)

I'm thinking that the database "holdups" from these slow pages cause problems for other users.

Posted on: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 am

The book history page should be a lot quicker now
(as well as the "submit book puzzle solution" page).

This will improve responsiveness across the site [cool]

Posted on: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

I just submitted one book puzzle, and I got a wierd message about unlocking a bonus puzzle.

I know it was in error. I had just done a bonus puzzle earlier in the session.
Also the message said I had done 0 bonus puzzles so far.

Posted on: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:15 am

I know you're working on this problem. It is still persisting.

The problem is really annoying with the timed puzzles. Time out twice and you lose a point. And it is really not that great when you have to wait for the puzzle to load (sometimes over 30 seconds), if you're trying to set a good time. I don't think I have ever managed a top-10 for the day, but this issue is certainly not helping (I think I have been close on a couple of occasions). Also, due to the persistent timeouts, it seems I did not get the notification that I qualified for a bonus puzzle, due to the fact that the error notification does not refer you to the points you accrued. But I may simply have missed that.

With regards to the earlier reported issue with the rankings: that is still the same (eg. I only get the results for Kenyan users; I need to click on either "regular / book / timed / extra" to get results for all users. If I then click on "all" I do get the results for all users. It does appear that it takes less time to display the rankings/

Posted on: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks for the detailed report, I'll look at your account specifically as well.

Posted on: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:04 pm

ddarthez wrote:
With regards to the earlier reported issue with the rankings: that is still the same (eg. I only get the results for Kenyan users; I need to click on either "regular / book / timed / extra" to get results for all users. If I then click on "all" I do get the results for all users. It does appear that it takes less time to display the rankings/

I just added a region 'Africa', this should be the one you see now by default.

(only 5 people in the last 7 days rankings, so get busy promoting the site in Kenya [wink] )

Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next