View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Blind spot 

Posted on: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 am

Post Re: Blind spot
I often look over the site before committing to do a given puzzle. If that time were counted as puzzle time it would render the solving times meaningless. If you take things in that direction, perhaps the solver should start the clock upon beginning real effort rather than have the program start the clock.

Posted on: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:05 pm

sjs34 wrote:
I often look over the site before committing to do a given puzzle. If that time were counted as puzzle time it would render the solving times meaningless. If you take things in that direction, perhaps the solver should start the clock upon beginning real effort rather than have the program start the clock.

I guess if you really wanted to keep track, you could use a stop watch. I don't want to go that far, but sometimes it seems to take me ages to solve a problem and it would be handy if the site told me how long it took.

But I take the point you're making. If I want to keep track, I would need to quit out of a puzzle before browsing the forum, checking the rankings, etc.

Posted on: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:04 pm

I've spent quite a bit of time over the past 4 days working on one of the puzzles from Advanced Puzzles III. No matter how many different ways I approached it, I kept getting stuck.

Then I noticed that one of the first cages I completed was a two cell 64^. I had put 34 and 26 as the only options. Then I realised that 28 would also work! [blush] Didn't take too long after that to complete the puzzle, but it just shows how easy it is to get led astray. Classic blind spot!

Posted on: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 pm

My blind spot today was on the 12x12 and there was an x18 which meant it had to be 9 and 2..... and I continued on.......shortly thereafter (I had barely tarted the puzzle with a couple of rows done), I hit " a wall"......the 2 didn't fit.......I am looking at this cage and I "knew" only 9x2=18 [cursing] away at the "stupid puzzle".... I mean I had done 10 minutes and I had already screwed up...... [cursing] puzzle.....I just could not believe that the 2 and 9 were not the right answers as everybody knows 2x9=18.......put puzzle down and did some reading during which, for some reason 6x3 made a great entry into my consciousness......voila the answer to my problem........only took 45 minutes to figure it out [cursing] ........and about an hour later (after a few more corrected mistakes) a completed 12x12....... [biggrin] :-) [thumbsup] ........celebration time........it's a great day.......hope all are having a great day too!!!!!!

Posted on: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 pm

I can be such an idiot sometimes! I spent just over 42 minutes [scared] solving today's timed 8x8. When I first got stuck, I started again from scratch and very slowly bolded each cell that I was certain was correct. Then I worked forward from there until I got stuck, then cleared all non bold cells and tried again. I did this over and over until I finally realised that one of my bold cells must be incorrect.

So I cleared the whole puzzle and started again. And discovered that I had assumed that 124 was the only possible solution for an l-shaped 3 cell value 2: When I changed this to 121, the puzzle resolved fairly quickly. What a ridiculous way to spend almost three quarters of an hour! [blush]

Posted on: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:56 pm

How about 16 hours ad 51 minutes........mind you I did "sleep on it" and when I woke up I realized tha 7+4+3 did not add up to 13..... DDDDDUUUUUMMMMBBBBEEEEDDDDD up that one.......oh, well solved now [biggrin]

Posted on: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 am

beaker wrote:
How about 16 hours ad 51 minutes........mind you I did "sleep on it" and when I woke up I realized tha 7+4+3 did not add up to 13..... DDDDDUUUUUMMMMBBBBEEEEDDDDD up that one.......oh, well solved now [biggrin]

OK - that beats my effort. Although I do remember being interrupted once when doing an 8x8 and finally completing it several hours later when I got back home. Don't think it was quite as long a gap as yours though.

Posted on: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:21 am

Here is a nice blind spot saga........I was doing yesterday's 8x8 and thought that 7+3+4= 13......as a resul 2 other numbers didn't fit.........a 5 and a 2 plus the [cursing] 3.........worked on it and then fell asleep........page was still open when I awoke and I could see that the 3. had to be replaced by the 2 and 30 seconds later.....success......time recorded 16 HOURS and 51 MINUTES...........now THAT has got to be some kind of record for an IDIOTIC BLIND SPOT :-)

Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4