View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Your Personal Method 

Posted on: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 am

Post Re: Your Personal Method
I start every puzzle online, and solve the large majority of them without resorting to other media. But sometimes I get stuck, especially on the 9x9s, and I'll copy the grid into Excel and then use conditional formatting to see where I have too many or too few digits in any given row or column. I also use Excel for the book puzzles. I tried pencil and paper at first, but it got too messy. There's nothing like copy/paste to save progress!

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am

Well, to show you how my method works in practice and because I think it's very helpful to use the BOLD function (better than writing all the candidates for a cell and cleaner as well), I made my first YouTube video based on the 8x8 difficult puzzle from 11-06 (yesterday's puzzle). It's my first YouTube video ever! My voice sounds funny though. Here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qA0dXUuOVM

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:15 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
Well, to show you how my method works in practice and because I think it's very helpful to use the BOLD function (better than writing all the candidates for a cell and cleaner as well), I made my first YouTube video based on the 8x8 difficult puzzle from 11-06 (yesterday's puzzle). It's my first YouTube video ever! My voice sounds funny though. Here's the link. Enjoy!

Very cool, thanks!
Actually quite an efficient method, to simply film the screen and talk over it.
(my video took a long time to make, generating all the screenshots, annotating them...)
Now let's see how many views it racks up :)

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 am

pnm wrote:
Very cool, thanks!
Actually quite an efficient method, to simply film the screen and talk over it.
(my video took a long time to make, generating all the screenshots, annotating them...)
Now let's see how many views it racks up :)

Patrick

Well, your video has a professional feel to it because of the way it's done. Mine is very obviously home-made, but yes it's probably easier to make.

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 am

Well done Sneaklyfox

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:

Good idea!, it's easy to follow and, undoubtedly, it requires a previous effort to plan it, prepare it..., 8 minutes without halts. The voice sounds clear. The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm

clm wrote:
The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).

Go for it :-)
(you could do one in Spanish!)

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

clm wrote:
Good idea!, it's easy to follow and, undoubtedly, it requires a previous effort to plan it, prepare it..., 8 minutes without halts. The voice sounds clear. The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).

Thanks for the positive feedbacks! I didn't really plan anything besides that I did the puzzle once before. At the time I did it, I wasn't planning on making a video but later I decided I wanted to do something and chose that one with which to demonstrate my method. And then I only had to find a suitable place for the camera and raise it with a few books. You're right that I could extend it with a better intro though. I didn't explain very much about the green colour and bolding the ones I knew were in exactly the right place.

As for doing it slower or considering a more exciting intro to calcudoku, I figured that people who were being introduced to calcudoku probably wouldn't start with an 8x8 and that you'd have to be somewhat versed in strategy to think about doing an 8x8 yourself. But you're right too... I could still include those elements.

Now that I've made my first YouTube video, I'm thinking about what to make/upload next. :)

Posted on: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 am

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).

Go for it :-)
(you could do one in Spanish!)

Patrick

Something must be done... I am surprised for the little success of the Forum in Spanish (no posts, no replies, relatively low audience..., and in this case most people do not speak English like in Netherlands...) considering that Mexico, Argentina and Spain have 208 puzzlers (all time) and another 14 more or less from the other speaking Spanish countries (though the active puzzlers are a few, less than 30 in total). Probably a 6x6 (or a 5x5)... I have to think in the type of presentation and find the appropriate tools (actually old PC, low speed Internet... , i.e., the sneaklyfox file was around 50 Mb, to upload something similar is for me an utopia in this moment but perhaps Santa Klaus brings me the high speed...) and additionally I have 0 experience with videos, etc... will see this autumn-winter.

Posted on: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 am

It took awhile for my video to get uploaded. I had to let it run overnight although I'm sure it didn't take all night...

Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next