View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:48 am



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Your Personal Method 
Author Message

Posted on: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 am




Posts: 116
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 3:18 am
Post Re: Your Personal Method
I start every puzzle online, and solve the large majority of them without resorting to other media. But sometimes I get stuck, especially on the 9x9s, and I'll copy the grid into Excel and then use conditional formatting to see where I have too many or too few digits in any given row or column. I also use Excel for the book puzzles. I tried pencil and paper at first, but it got too messy. There's nothing like copy/paste to save progress!


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: Your Personal Method
Well, to show you how my method works in practice and because I think it's very helpful to use the BOLD function (better than writing all the candidates for a cell and cleaner as well), I made my first YouTube video based on the 8x8 difficult puzzle from 11-06 (yesterday's puzzle). It's my first YouTube video ever! My voice sounds funny though. Here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qA0dXUuOVM


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:15 am




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: Your Personal Method
sneaklyfox wrote:
Well, to show you how my method works in practice and because I think it's very helpful to use the BOLD function (better than writing all the candidates for a cell and cleaner as well), I made my first YouTube video based on the 8x8 difficult puzzle from 11-06 (yesterday's puzzle). It's my first YouTube video ever! My voice sounds funny though. Here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qA0dXUuOVM

Very cool, thanks!
Actually quite an efficient method, to simply film the screen and talk over it.
(my video took a long time to make, generating all the screenshots, annotating them...)
Now let's see how many views it racks up :)

Patrick


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 am




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: Your Personal Method
pnm wrote:
Very cool, thanks!
Actually quite an efficient method, to simply film the screen and talk over it.
(my video took a long time to make, generating all the screenshots, annotating them...)
Now let's see how many views it racks up :)

Patrick


Well, your video has a professional feel to it because of the way it's done. Mine is very obviously home-made, but yes it's probably easier to make.


Profile

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 am




Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:58 am
Post Re: Your Personal Method
Well done Sneaklyfox


Profile

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: Your Personal Method
sneaklyfox wrote:
Well, to show you how my method works in practice and because I think it's very helpful to use the BOLD function (better than writing all the candidates for a cell and cleaner as well), I made my first YouTube video based on the 8x8 difficult puzzle from 11-06 (yesterday's puzzle). It's my first YouTube video ever! My voice sounds funny though. Here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qA0dXUuOVM


Good idea!, it's easy to follow and, undoubtedly, it requires a previous effort to plan it, prepare it..., 8 minutes without halts. The voice sounds clear. The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: Your Personal Method
clm wrote:
The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).

Go for it :-)
(you could do one in Spanish!)

Patrick


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: Your Personal Method
clm wrote:
Good idea!, it's easy to follow and, undoubtedly, it requires a previous effort to plan it, prepare it..., 8 minutes without halts. The voice sounds clear. The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).


Thanks for the positive feedbacks! I didn't really plan anything besides that I did the puzzle once before. At the time I did it, I wasn't planning on making a video but later I decided I wanted to do something and chose that one with which to demonstrate my method. And then I only had to find a suitable place for the camera and raise it with a few books. You're right that I could extend it with a better intro though. I didn't explain very much about the green colour and bolding the ones I knew were in exactly the right place.

As for doing it slower or considering a more exciting intro to calcudoku, I figured that people who were being introduced to calcudoku probably wouldn't start with an 8x8 and that you'd have to be somewhat versed in strategy to think about doing an 8x8 yourself. But you're right too... I could still include those elements.

Now that I've made my first YouTube video, I'm thinking about what to make/upload next. :)


Profile

Posted on: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 am




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: Your Personal Method
pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
The presentation with the computer works very well, my suggestion is that even you may extend it a few more minutes (giving more time to the first steps, a little bit slower, and an additional more "exciting" introduction to Calcudoku).

Go for it :-)
(you could do one in Spanish!)

Patrick


Something must be done... I am surprised for the little success of the Forum in Spanish (no posts, no replies, relatively low audience..., and in this case most people do not speak English like in Netherlands...) considering that Mexico, Argentina and Spain have 208 puzzlers (all time) and another 14 more or less from the other speaking Spanish countries (though the active puzzlers are a few, less than 30 in total). Probably a 6x6 (or a 5x5)... I have to think in the type of presentation and find the appropriate tools (actually old PC, low speed Internet... , i.e., the sneaklyfox file was around 50 Mb, to upload something similar is for me an utopia in this moment but perhaps Santa Klaus brings me the high speed...) and additionally I have 0 experience with videos, etc... will see this autumn-winter.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 am




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: Your Personal Method
It took awhile for my video to get uploaded. I had to let it run overnight although I'm sure it didn't take all night...


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.