View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Level of calcudoku books 

Posted on: Mon May 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Post Level of calcudoku books
In a month I'll be gone somewhere without internet for four weeks of backpacking. In order to satisfy my need of doing calcudoku's I would like to buy one of Patrick's books. Would those of you who bought one of Patrick's books mind sharing with me what is the approximate level the books (Advanced puzzles, Newdoku 1 and 2) in comparison to the puzzles on the website? So I might have an idea of which to buy. I already have the Dutch 'doeboek'.
Or perhaps Patrick himself could help me?

Thanks guys.

Posted on: Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Post Re: Level of calcudoku books
zefiros wrote:
(Advanced puzzles, Newdoku 1 and 2) in comparison to the puzzles on the website? So I might have an idea of which to buy. I already have the Dutch 'doeboek'.

The puzzles in the 'Advanced' book are at or above the level of the 'Doeboek' (the 'Advanced' book puzzles
have a star rating, I'd say that the Doeboek puzzles are 3-5 stars, the 'Advanced puzzles' are between 2 and 6).

The Newdoku 1 is simple, with only the puzzles at the end around the level of the medium/harder puzzles on the site.

Newdoku 2 more or less starts of where 1 left of, with the 40 advanced puzzles at the end at or above the
harder site puzzles.

That said, I'd be interested to know what other people think, I'm always looking for
more data to calibrate the formula I use to compute the difficulty level of a puzzle..

For completeness, the 'Rekendoku' pockets that were published last year (7 of them) are 100% easy
(too easy if you ask me, but the publisher wanted that).

Patrick

Posted on: Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 am

pnm wrote:
zefiros wrote:
(Advanced puzzles, Newdoku 1 and 2) in comparison to the puzzles on the website? So I might have an idea of which to buy. I already have the Dutch 'doeboek'.

The puzzles in the 'Advanced' book are at or above the level of the 'Doeboek' (the 'Advanced' book puzzles
have a star rating, I'd say that the Doeboek puzzles are 3-5 stars, the 'Advanced puzzles' are between 2 and 6).

The Newdoku 1 is simple, with only the puzzles at the end around the level of the medium/harder puzzles on the site.

Newdoku 2 more or less starts of where 1 left of, with the 40 advanced puzzles at the end at or above the
harder site puzzles.

That said, I'd be interested to know what other people think, I'm always looking for
more data to calibrate the formula I use to compute the difficulty level of a puzzle..

For completeness, the 'Rekendoku' pockets that were published last year (7 of them) are 100% easy
(too easy if you ask me, but the publisher wanted that).

Patrick

I don't know how you could write a program to determine this, but it would seem that each puzzle at any given point in time has a finite number of useful points. The fewer useful points the harder the puzzle. I don't have a specific puzzle to reference for illustration purposes, so if that doesn't make sense...

Posted on: Sun May 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Patrick, do all your books allow you to score points for submitting solutions from them? I have your advanced book, and I will buy more books if I can score points with them.

Posted on: Sun May 29, 2011 1:36 pm

nobodyhasthisyet wrote:
Patrick, do all your books allow you to score points for submitting solutions from them? I have your advanced book, and I will buy more books if I can score points with them.

If only I had known :-)
No, only the 'advanced' book allows you to score points for the site.
Patrick

Posted on: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks Patrick, I have bought two of your Advanced books. One for myself and one for my folks. ;)

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks for your nice book, Patrick. ;) I wonder, however, if perhaps you could create a difficult twin puzzle some day? I really like the concept, but the twin puzzles in the Advanced book are nowhere near challenging.

Posted on: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 pm

zefiros wrote:
Thanks for your nice book, Patrick. ;) I wonder, however, if perhaps you could create a difficult twin puzzle some day? I really like the concept, but the twin puzzles in the Advanced book are nowhere near challenging.

Thanks for reminding me. The twin puzzles go through a separate solver (it's
obviously different from the regular solver), which is not good enough yet.
I should work on it a bit more :)

Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]