View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 75% best times 

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 am

Post 75% best times
This thread still being the suggestions thread, I think we should either reset the puzzles included in best 75% of timed or include a decay formula in some manner. Right now, the top 4 on 6x6 haven't done a timed 6x6 in over 4 months if I remember correctly.

Perhaps, much like the batting average title in baseball requires a minimum number of plate appearances, maybe there should be some minimum numbers of attempts within recent history to be included on the 75% list.

Regardless, for now, it's ridiculous to show people as "the #1 ranked solver" when they haven't solved anything in months, so I feel like this needs to be changed in some form.

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 am

Post Re: Any suggestions?
starling wrote:
This thread still being the suggestions thread, I think we should either reset the puzzles included in best 75% of timed or include a decay formula in some manner. Right now, the top 4 on 6x6 haven't done a timed 6x6 in over 4 months if I remember correctly.

Perhaps, much like the batting average title in baseball requires a minimum number of plate appearances, maybe there should be some minimum numbers of attempts within recent history to be included on the 75% list.

Yes, good point. I didn't start off with a minimum because I wanted the list to be populated
right from the start. But now I think a minimum of, say, 20 puzzles would be better.

I'll also make the following changes:
- 75% will become 65%
- any solution for which the page was inactive for more than half the total duration will be invalidated

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm

pnm wrote:
But now I think a minimum of, say, 20 puzzles would be better.

- 75% will become 65%
- any solution for which the page was inactive for more than half the total duration will be invalidated

Ok, those changes are in place now...

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 pm

pnm wrote:
starling wrote:

Yes, good point. I didn't start off with a minimum because I wanted the list to be populated
right from the start. But now I think a minimum of, say, 20 puzzles would be better.

- 75% will become 65%

Patrick

For curiosity yet again, why in particular was the second change made? I may be misunderstanding, but that seems to eliminate the 18 mins that really should count in some fashion or another.

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:11 pm

starling wrote:
pnm wrote:
- 75% will become 65%

For curiosity yet again, why in particular was the second change made? I may be misunderstanding, but that seems to eliminate the 18 mins that really should count in some fashion or another.

No, those still stand (the 18 minute ones). The 2nd change covers results like, for example, a time of 1 minute 10 for a 6x6,
when no key was pressed for the first 50 seconds.

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 pm

pnm wrote:

... No, those still stand (the 18 minute ones). The 2nd change covers results like, for example, a time of 1 minute 10 for a 6x6,
when no key was pressed for the first 50 seconds.

Patrick

Patrick, you mean elapsed time after the 1 min 10 seconds being equal to the half of the time counted?, in this case 35 seconds (1 min 10 seconds)/ 2 or other calculation, why 50? can you give another example?

Posted on: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 pm

clm wrote:
Patrick, you mean elapsed time after the 1 min 10 seconds being equal to the half of the time counted?, in this case 35 seconds (1 min 10 seconds)/ 2 or other calculation

Yes, > 35, I should have been more clear.
(so 50 would qualify).

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 am

Post Re: 75% best times
I just noticed the change from 75% to 65% and I'm curious about what prompted that, and how the value 65% was chosen.

Also, I fail to see why it's "ridiculous" for the best timed score to be listed when that person hasn't solved any timed puzzles recently. That's like saying a long-standing world record in some track and field event should be set aside just because the athlete hasn't run a race (or thrown a javelin or whatever) in a certain period of time.

Posted on: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:44 am

pnm wrote:

- 75% will become 65%

Patrick

I don't understand why where a page is inactive for more than half the total duration it is invalidated. I also wonder what it means that it is invalidated. Is it as though you didn't do a puzzle or that it doesn't count in the record of all puzzles and hence not affecting the average of best 65%? I mean, what if I did a 6x6 timed and knew I was really slow and would get a time of 3 minutes so instead of finishing the puzzle so that it counts as 3 minutes in the record, I left the page open for another 3+ minutes to invalidate it as a record? I'm a little confused...

Posted on: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 am

Post Re: 75% best times
pharosian wrote:
I just noticed the change from 75% to 65% and I'm curious about what prompted that, and how the value 65% was chosen.

Also, I fail to see why it's "ridiculous" for the best timed score to be listed when that person hasn't solved any timed puzzles recently. That's like saying a long-standing world record in some track and field event should be set aside just because the athlete hasn't run a race (or thrown a javelin or whatever) in a certain period of time.

Because it's not like that at all since it's an average. It'd be like calling Heinie Odom (http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... he01.shtml) the all-time best batting average baseball player. That's obviously absurd, and this is a similar case.

I think it would be more fitting to establish a continually rising minimum number of puzzles done so that someone can't just claim a lead and then never do another.

Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next