View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The 9 x 9 pattern that I most loathe 

Posted on: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:26 pm

Post Re: The 9 x 9 pattern that I most loathe
As there’s only around 35 minutes left to submit the puzzle, I suggest you look at the total for the top three rows. This greatly reduces the number of possibilities in those cages that have more than one possible number combination.

Good luck!

Posted on: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Quote:
For this puzzle, I don't see a set of one or more columns or rows that I can use to get either a sum or a product that I can work with. I don't see any grouping of one or more columns that don't contain partial cages. There are also subtraction cages mixed in and unless those have been reduced down just the numbers that actually go in those cages, they throw the sum/product strategy out of whack. Are there specific columns or rows in this puzzle that I should look at?

When adding rows or columns partial cages are ok, you just use the cells that are within the group of rows/columns that you are trying to add.
Subtraction cages make it more difficult, but they can be useful because they can have a wide range of possible totals for the cage, and that makes it easier to dismiss some combinations.

As an example the cages in the top 3 rows can be added if you include cells b3 & h3. That give 3 cages and 2 cells that need to add up to 41, cage f2 has 3 possible totals 5,7 & 11. The 11 (f2=7,f3=4) can be dismissed because the minimum total with the other cages would be 43. Note this only eliminates the 7 in f2 and not the 4 in f3.

That might seem a lot of work to remove just one pencil mark, but with that 7 gone column f becomes very useful and we can now make a lot of progress adding columns f,g,h & i, but that requires some pretty complicated cage adding.

I solved the puzzle without using trial and error, most of that was adding cages, of the 14 more difficult steps in solving the puzzle 11 of them were cage adding.

Posted on: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:43 am

I have a screen scan of where I was before I started my T & E. Tell me how to link it from iPad.

The 2- (2 cell) in row 3 was reduced to either (1, 3) or (3, 5). The 15+ (2 cell) in column H where known.

I worked on the right vertical three columns. I specifically chose this 3ple as having the fewest variables.
One had to juggle numbers for 2- (2 cell), the factoring of 324 and 2 free cells in 4G and 6G. I eliminated possibilities for the 2- (2 cell) = (3, 5).

I kept working on it and had to make guesses for the middle three columns and the the middle three rows. I was lucky. I guessed correctly.

I know that when I am not lucky, I have many, many possibilities waiting to be tried.

Did I say I LOATHE this pattern???

Posted on: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:45 am

Quote:
I worked on the right vertical three columns.

That is on the right track, but if you look at the right 4 columns a lot can be done. After eliminating 7 from f2, you can then eliminate 1,2,3 & 5 from f1,f5,f6 & f9 by referring to the other cages in column f. Now there are limited options for f1,f5 & f9 (one of these must be 9) when you add the 4 right columns.

If you are able to send your screen capture from the point where you started trial and error that would be interesting.

Posted on: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 am

Michaele,
I didn't mean to ghost you. I just can't figure out a way to get a photo from my iPad posted to this forum.

If you are truly intrigued, feel free to PM me. Include your email addy and I can send you the screen shot for this puzzle.

Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3