View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Difficult Killer Sudoku 31/7 

Posted on: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:04 pm

Post Difficult Killer Sudoku 31/7
Today's Killer Sudoku (31/7) was much easier than usual, it has a high rating, 198.4, but can be solved very easily. There was only one time where I added the cages within a 3x3 group to dismiss some values within that group, after that it was all basic level methods to complete the puzzle. The Friday Killer Sudoku is one of the puzzles i look forward to solving. Did other users also find it unusually easy?
I have not said too much so as to not give away the solution. If anybody is interested I can post the first few steps required to solved the puzzle when it is no longer worth points.

Posted on: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Post Re: Difficult Killer Sudoku 31/7
michaele wrote:
Today's Killer Sudoku (31/7) was much easier than usual, it has a high rating, 198.4, but can be solved very easily. There was only one time where I added the cages within a 3x3 group to dismiss some values within that group, after that it was all basic level methods to complete the puzzle. The Friday Killer Sudoku is one of the puzzles i look forward to solving. Did other users also find it unusually easy?
I have not said too much so as to not give away the solution. If anybody is interested I can post the first few steps required to solved the puzzle when it is no longer worth points.

Having been out a lot today, I still have a few puzzles to do, but I decided to have a look at today’s difficult Killer and I have to say I didn’t find it at all simple. So I’m going to abandon it until I’ve solved the puzzles that have a deadline of today.

Posted on: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 pm

I to found it difficult and after 3 tries gave up on it.....did not get the other killer either ....so no Killer Points today (which I am in dire need of as my world ranking is getting lower [sad] )

Posted on: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:20 am

Beaker, you can still do yesterday’s difficult Killer today. You have until midnight tonight to submit it n

Posted on: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:21 am

Not unless you are allowed 2 days to do it.....(well I'll be darned, never even looked below puzzle.....and Paul, you were right...."who knew---not me")........I am resigned to the fact that of the 3 killers of yesterday and today I might be able to solve 1 of them [sad]......that said, I have already tried that 1 a number of times with no solution or even close to a solution.....in the other one I ended up with repeated numbers in the same 3x3 square and try as I might to re-arrange the numbers, no solution was worked out.

Posted on: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:21 pm

I’ve found all three Killers from yesterday and today quite difficult. Yesterday’s medium took me a lot longer than usual for a medium and I really struggled to find a hook into yesterday’s difficult until I realised that two adjacent cages had fairly limited options when looked at together and this gave me a start to build on. But it took me an awful lot longer than usual and I still haven’t completed today’s Killer.

Posted on: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:28 pm

Yesterday (Friday) I thought the difficult was going to get to me, but something “popped.,” and I was able to get it done.

I thought today’s difficult KS was a bit more challenging.

Beaker,
I remember when I first came on the site and became I member. Somehow I didnt find the message that allowed the EXTRA puzzles to have 30 days to solve. I was miffed because there were days I couldnt get that last puzzle in, particularly on Sat’s with the 15 x 15.
I have been there too, buddy.

Posted on: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 pm

Thanks for that.....I tried the last 12x12 (which I gave up on long ago) for the heck of it as I had a number of days to solve it.....no solution for me as I (somehow) ended up with a "6 at the top and another at the bottom of 2nd row from the left.....which means that I messed up the whole thing.....so back on the "sidelines" I go [sad] but happy that I finally gave it a try [smile]

Posted on: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 am

This puzzle is no longer worth points, so I can show my method.
I will refer to the 3x3 cell areas as a box, I don't know if there is a correct name for them, but I always think of them as a box.

Step 1.
Calculate cages f6 (22) and f8 (38); cage f6=5,6,7,8,9 & cage f8=3,5,6,7,8,9

Step 2.
In the lower right side box there are 6 cells with only 6 possible values, that means cells h7, i7 & i8 must be the other 3 values (1,2 & 4). Therefore h7 must be 2, because it can not be in the i7 cage.

Step 3.
Add the cages in the centre/right box (cells g4 to i6): (noting that cell h7 is solved) cage g4:16 + cage i5:8 = 24, this means the cells i4 + g5 + g6 = 21 (The cells coloured blue in the picture below).

Because i4 + g5 + g6 =21 the values in those cells must be at least 4, and the unsolved cells in cage g4(18) can not be 2 because cell h7 within that cage is 2. This means that the only remaining place for the value 2 in that box is the i5 cage, so that cage must be 2 & 6.

These 3 steps are shown in the 3 images below.

From this point it is all basic methods to complete the puzzle.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Posted on: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:54 am

Hi Michaele

Those were the two cages that got me started and I managed to solve it yesterday. But I must be doing something wrong, because I didn’t find it all that straightforward and it was only when I realised that the 22 cage starting at b2 had to be 123457 that I managed to complete it.

Probably old age catching up on me!

Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next