View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Difficult Killer Sudoku 7/8 

Posted on: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 am

Post Re: Difficult Killer Sudoku 7/8
Quote:
"Easy" a relevant term.......as for some, to what you posting about, the puzzles are difficult but solveable.......the fact that they are solvable does not neccessarily mean they are easy........for you, yes........for others not

It was probably unfair to say it was easy, but it is certainly much easier than the usual Friday difficult killer. Now that it is not worth points I can show the only step that I thought required some experience with solving killer sudoku puzzles. Usually solving a difficult killer sudoku involves a certain amount of complicated analysis involving referring to multiple cells or cages, but the 7/8 puzzle did not require doing that at all. I think it is the techniques required in solving the puzzle that make it easy or difficult, it is not just about being solvable.

Below are 2 images showing the only step in solving the puzzle that I would say was not relatively easy.

Here we can add cages in the top left box: a1(19), c1(19) & b2(6) = 44, this means a3+c3= 7 or 9 (a3+c3=d1+1). Note that there is 1 cell included outside of the box, and 2 cells not included that are inside the box, and that is why I would say it is a little more difficult than the usual adding up cages within a box.

Now we can dismiss 7 in c3, and by referring to cell i3(1,6) we know that a3 & c3 can not be 1 & 6, this leaves 1 & 8 as the only 2 remaining values that add up to 7 or 9, and because we added the cages we know that if a3+c3=9 then d1=8.

Everything else is relatively straight forward there is some more adding of cages to do, but nothing complicated.

Posted on: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 am

Post Re: Difficult Killer Sudoku 7/8
I found today's (14/8) killer sudoku more difficult than the previous 2 Friday killers. It took me longer to complete, but I did miss something that I think would have made a big difference if I had spotted it sooner. I will have another look at the puzzle later and see how much that would have helped.

Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2