View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 May 28, 2014, user defined 7x7 twin no-op 

Posted on: Wed May 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Post May 28, 2014, user defined 7x7 twin no-op
This user created puzzle is a good experiment, I have enjoyed a lot switching from one puzzle to the other using the Ctrl + left/right arrow keys to change the "focus".

Then, is it possible now to send user created no-op puzzles, either individual or twin? (initially it was not possible, as discussed in the thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=539 ).

In the code, do you use the "space bar" for the no-op operation or you have a special character?.

I assume that for the twin puzzles, after setting the "puzzle size" in the selection window, you send first the code for the puzzle you have decided to be in the left side and then the code for the puzzle you choosed to be in the right side (this decision could be, in a user created puzzle, for "esthetical" reasons) but, is it necessary to provide a blank line between both groups of code?.

Actually only the algebraic operators are allowed but, do you plan to include the special operators: ^ , mod, bitwise OR, or the negative numbers, in a near future?, I think that to extend the no-op, single or twin, with the possibility of having any of those special operators could be another very interesting experiment and very challenging.

And a final comment: It could be interesting to provide the link "Submit your own puzzles to the site" to the Japanese version of the site (this link is actually available only in the English, Dutch and Italian versions), but I understand that in Japan there are many creative persons who are still producing "manually" different types of algebraic puzzles (sudokus, kakuros, ... ).

Posted on: Wed May 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Post Re: May 28, 2014, user defined 7x7 twin no-op
clm wrote:
This user created puzzle is a good experiment, I have enjoyed a lot switching from one puzzle to the other using the Ctrl + left/right arrow keys to change the "focus".
Ditto. And I think this kind of puzzle should indeed replace the 15x15 every other Saturday.

I wonder if it would be possible to set the automatic evaluation (which makes the puzzle turn green as soon as it has been solved) so that it accepts the solution as soon as all the correct numbers are in place even if some of the operators haven't been entered yet? (Especially in twin no-ops, entering the last operators may be a little bit tedious and feel like an afterthought rather than like actual steps of the solving process.) The automatic evaluation would of course have to reject solutions with any wrong operator(s) but should be completely tolerant of "missing" operators.

But maybe that's just me. Other users may like it that the puzzle will not turn green before they have had a chance to verify by themselves (by entering all operators in both puzzles) that there is at least one operator for every cage for which the numbers in the cage will meet the requirement.

Posted on: Wed May 28, 2014 4:02 pm

bram wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to set the automatic evaluation (which makes the puzzle turn green as soon as it has been solved) so that it accepts the solution as soon as all the correct numbers are in place even if some of the operators haven't been entered yet?

Well, the numbers _and_ the operators are missing in a no-op puzzle, so both have to be found.

(I think it's a matter of principle, I can't really start "filling in" obvious solutions)

Posted on: Fri May 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: May 28, 2014, user defined 7x7 twin no-op
This was reported by one user: did anyone experience a problem where
the target result and/or operator changed in the other puzzle when bolding/unbolding
a number in one of the puzzles?

Posted on: Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 pm

pnm wrote:
This was reported by one user: did anyone experience a problem where
the target result and/or operator changed in the other puzzle when bolding/unbolding
a number in one of the puzzles?

Early on, while still figuring out some things and before I'd read the note at the bottom about shifting focus, I did something which indirectly changed the operator. But I didn't notice the exact time of the change and then couldn't reproduce it.

I had entered a '-' for the left-hand a1, then entered the '*' for the right-hand a1. I _think_ I must have determined if a1 was a 4 or a 5, entered that number and then bolded it on the right-hand side. The left-hand operator became a '*'.

Hope that helps.

Posted on: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:29 am

jaek wrote:
I had entered a '-' for the left-hand a1, then entered the '*' for the right-hand a1. I _think_ I must have determined if a1 was a 4 or a 5, entered that number and then bolded it on the right-hand side. The left-hand operator became a '*'.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, still can't reproduce though :-(

There'll be another 7x7 twin no-op (from zero [scared]) on Saturday, maybe then I'll have more info.

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]