Calcudoku puzzle forum
https://www.calcudoku.org/forum/

8x8 timed
https://www.calcudoku.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1012
Page 11 of 12

Author:  eclipsegirl  [ Thu May 23, 2019 4:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

Patrick,
Thank you for the graphs.

Author:  beaker  [ Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

Those ARE amazing times......colour me green with envy [smile] !!

Author:  Christopher PA  [ Fri May 24, 2019 3:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

pnm wrote:
And the same plot for the top 25 cutoff time:

Image


Thanks, Patrick, for this! Thought it was a little lower, but the line of best fit seems to be trending downward below 400s and was higher in earlier months.

Is the negatively-sloped trendline due to increased users? Or are users simply improving on aggregate?

Author:  mparisi  [ Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

gp_20017 wrote:
pnm wrote:
And the same plot for the top 25 cutoff time:

Image


Thanks, Patrick, for this! Thought it was a little lower, but the line of best fit seems to be trending downward below 400s and was higher in earlier months.

Is the negatively-sloped trendline due to increased users? Or are users simply improving on aggregate?


When the 8x8s first showed up I was routinely in the top 25, but that was probably due to the fact that there were only about 30 people doing them. I just checked and yesterday there were 35 submissions, but that still may be enough to push more of the slowest times out of the top 25.

Author:  paulv66  [ Fri May 24, 2019 4:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

pnm wrote:
And the same plot for the top 25 cutoff time:

Image


Thanks for posting those Patrick. Very interesting data and there is a clear downward trend in the top 25 cut off over the past year as well as a pronounced reduction in variability. I guess this is only to be expected, given that the average number of people doing the 8x8 is now around 40, whereas it was closer to 30 a year ago. With only 30 participants, significant variability in the 25th best time is not at all surprising, particularly if not everyone takes part on a particular day.

One thing that strikes me about the graph is there there are some fairly extreme swings from one day to the next. Is this due to you 'tweaking' the difficulty level from time to time or is it just the result of random fluctuation?

Author:  pnm  [ Fri May 24, 2019 5:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

This is the average top 25 cutoff time during the past year, for each day of the week:

Monday: 485.75
Tuesday: 520.5
Wednesday: 487.07
Thursday: 522.41
Friday: 507.21
Saturday: 560.43
Sunday: 512.28

I didn't expect Monday and Wednesday would be the fastest days..
(at least when using this measure, maybe I should simply average the top 10 times)

edit: here is the average top 10 time:

Monday: 193.66
Tuesday: 194.81
Wednesday: 196.72
Thursday: 199.88
Friday: 199.79
Saturday: 195.47
Sunday: 194.91

This seems more reasonable: as people get more tired during the week, times suffer [unsure]

Author:  rafaelhoukes  [ Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

That seems interesting.
I wonder if this same pattern occurs in the other timed puzzle sizes as well, maybe it would be fun to compare them, if it doesn't take too much time?

Author:  pnm  [ Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

rafaelhoukes wrote:
That seems interesting.
I wonder if this same pattern occurs in the other timed puzzle sizes as well, maybe it would be fun to compare them, if it doesn't take too much time?


Here's the same list for the 6x6:

Monday: 40.93
Tuesday: 40.41
Wednesday: 40.6
Thursday: 40.67
Friday: 40.95
Saturday: 41.3
Sunday: 41.66

I could run some more numbers, also for earlier years.

Author:  paulv66  [ Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

pnm wrote:
This is the average top 25 cutoff time during the past year, for each day of the week:

Monday: 485.75
Tuesday: 520.5
Wednesday: 487.07
Thursday: 522.41
Friday: 507.21
Saturday: 560.43
Sunday: 512.28

I didn't expect Monday and Wednesday would be the fastest days..
(at least when using this measure, maybe I should simply average the top 10 times)

edit: here is the average top 10 time:

Monday: 193.66
Tuesday: 194.81
Wednesday: 196.72
Thursday: 199.88
Friday: 199.79
Saturday: 195.47
Sunday: 194.91

This seems more reasonable: as people get more tired during the week, times suffer [unsure]


Thanks Patrick

I have to say, those numbers surprise me. I would have thought that the top 25 cut off average would be around 7 minutes, but the actual average is slightly above 8 and a half minutes. And I would have expected the average cut off for top ten to be around half a minute higher than the actual average of just over 3 and a quarter minutes.

Author:  beaker  [ Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 8x8 timed

beaker wrote:
Those ARE amazing times......colour me green with envy [smile] !!


Because today, I had a half decent time but no green screen and it took me 5 minutes of "panic time" to find a 1 and 2 had been reversed [cursing]

Page 11 of 12 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/