View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:18 pm



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 8x8 timed 
Author Message

Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:46 am




Posts: 676
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: 8x8 timed
Again with the right hand corner.......only this time it wasn't right in the corner but one cell away from it [cursing]......from now on I will start with the bottom RHC when checking instead of the top LHC......result = one [sad] time!!


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:21 pm




Posts: 2602
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: 8x8 timed
beaker wrote:
Again with the right hand corner.......only this time it wasn't right in the corner but one cell away from it [cursing]......from now on I will start with the bottom RHC when checking instead of the top LHC......result = one [sad] time!!


Yes, start with columns first, and right to left.

I found that columns from the right tend to have errors more often

(as opposed to rows, starting from the top)


Profile

Posted on: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm




Posts: 676
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: 8x8 timed
Thanks for the suggestion........and you're right about the RHS.......however, my mistakes are usually side by side
numbers in a row rather than in a column........I seem to look at the keyboard more closely when I enter a column cage solution......strange that I don't for some horizontal cages.......too much adrenalin, I guess and my fingers are getting twitchy by the time I get to the bottom RHS!!!


Profile

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am




Posts: 676
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: 8x8 timed
could not see the 171 top RH for a VERY LONG TIME [cursing], once that was done rest of puzzle took about 30 seconds for a grand total of 18.9 minutes.....yuch!!


Profile

Posted on: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 pm




Posts: 567
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: 8x8 timed
beaker wrote:
could not see the 171 top RH for a VERY LONG TIME [cursing], once that was done rest of puzzle took about 30 seconds for a grand total of 18.9 minutes.....yuch!!


I had a similar problem with my 8x8 today. There was a 72 cage with 626 not possible as a solution, so I assumed it had to be 346. It took me a long time to realise that 383 was also an option. [cursing]

On a (somewhat) related note, I was very impressed at yesterday's puzzlers. A time of 3:13 was not good enough to get into the top 10! As that is several seconds faster than my best ever time, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever manage another top 10.


Profile

Posted on: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 am




Posts: 676
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: 8x8 timed
Top Ten is a long distance memory now.....it's 1 or 2 points now


Profile

Posted on: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 pm




Posts: 215
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:51 pm
Post Re: 8x8 timed
paulv66,
I agree that the timeds appear to be passing me by. I was lucky to have 4 min 3 sec be good enough for 9th place yesterday but my best ever of 3 min 12 sec would not have been top 10 the day before. Also I used to be able to hit top 25 occasionally on the other puzzles but two days ago my 44th best 4x4 ever in 4822 attempts (~11 sec) was only good for 30th.
Steve


Profile

Posted on: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:27 pm




Posts: 567
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: 8x8 timed
sjs34 wrote:
paulv66,
I agree that the timeds appear to be passing me by. I was lucky to have 4 min 3 sec be good enough for 9th place yesterday but my best ever of 3 min 12 sec would not have been top 10 the day before. Also I used to be able to hit top 25 occasionally on the other puzzles but two days ago my 44th best 4x4 ever in 4822 attempts (~11 sec) was only good for 30th.
Steve


It's funny how the times can vary from one day to the next. I was sure that my 8:35 from yesterday would be well outside the top 25, but it squeezed in on the mark!


Profile

Posted on: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 pm




Posts: 676
Location: Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am
Post Re: 8x8 timed
Your 4:46 looks pretty good today compared to my 7+ [thumbsup]


Profile

Posted on: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm




Posts: 567
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: 8x8 timed
beaker wrote:
Your 4:46 looks pretty good today compared to my 7+ [thumbsup]


Thanks beaker. I thought I had my best ever 5x5 today, completed after 31 seconds. But it turned out I had a 3 instead of a 4 in the bottom row and it took me another 11 seconds to find it. [cursing]


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.