View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Timed puzzle technique 

Posted on: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Post Re: Timed puzzle technique
paulv66 wrote:
You could well be right! That's an amazing time and, if I'm not mistaken, his first time completing an 8x8 in under a minute.

It's also insane that it's not the fastest time ever [scared]

Posted on: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

This time improved my personal best by about 10 seconds, so it's definitely my first time sub 1 minute [woot]

Using a keyboard doesn't make as big a difference for big puzzles as it does for smaller puzzles, since the number keys are further apart and there's usually more thinking involved anyway.
Like Beaker mentioned, it's a bit like playing piano: After a while you get used to the key positions and you won't need to look at the numbers anymore.

Posted on: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 am

Yes true.......but in my case I seem to have a "mental block" about that skill...........still [cursing]

Posted on: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:03 pm

I just had a thought: really anything that improves hand dexterity should help with these. I took up cubing (solving rubik's cubes) today, and already I feel like my fingers are moving a lot faster. I'll have to wait until 6 and see if I'm right though... I already used up all of my timed puzzles.

EDIT 5/5/18
Just came off a really good session with the Rubik's Cube (more than a dozen solves under 40 seconds) and had a very good day - everything in my top 80 and my 18th best 6x6. I guess if your fingers are warmed up, they're going to move a lot faster.

Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2