View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 no more points below a certain position? 

Posted on: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:24 am

Post Re: no more points below a certain position?
ineedaname wrote:
MY first thought was to leave as is but I like the extension of points idea as well as it'll give some of us old slow pokes a chance to pick up an extra point here & there. I'd like to see an idea I posted probably a year or more ago & see some sort of handicap system like in Golf so everyone is actually playing on an even playing field. It would probably be a bit too much work to be programmed up but maybe your handicap time is your average 65%/100 times & your time would be based from your actual time less your handicap. Maybe run 2 points tables with a point for completing a timed puzzle & keep the current top 10 points table (off scratch points) & another top 10 based on handicap scores.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea too. If this does get instituted (and isn't too hard on Patrick of course [sad] ) it would be cool to see two scoreboards. A lot of people do times that to them are great, but might attract no notice outside of their household. I think they really do need recognition.

Posted on: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 am

pnm wrote:
oldmathtchr wrote:
Rather than restricting points, I would like to see the points expanded for 4x4 5x5 and 6x6. for example, 3 pts for 3-10 and 2pts for 11-20

Maybe something like this:

1: 6
2: 5
3: 4
4-10: 3
11-20: 2
> 21: 1

?

Yes! I didn't know if you would want to increase the points for 1st place.

Posted on: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 am

A proposal combining what I see as the best of Patrick"s and oldmathtchr's proposals with a few new twists:

1-5: 4 points
6-15: 3 points
16-30: 2 points
>30: 1 point

If #1 needs unique recognition, an option would be to go back to 5 points for #1 and leave the rest of the proposal as proposed.

Posted on: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Sorry to chime in late, but I think an expanded bonus point(s) idea is quite worthwhile. It is really tough for a lot of people to compete with the regular speedsters, and that may be discouraging especially to newcomers. It takes time and experience to become really good at the timed puzzles. It may also basically disqualify solvers who are not using a PC with keyboard, since the other devices are too slow to solve the puzzles in the required 8.5 seconds / 27 / 52 seconds (rough estimates of what is required to make the top 10).

I think I managed just once a top 10 in the 4x4 and 6x6, and I have been a pretty active solver. For the longest time, I never managed a 4x4 under 10 seconds, or a 6x6 under a minute. I am still improving, and slowly getting in better times. Just blanket 1 point for not being a supersolver (like jpoos, and several others) simply does not encourage most people to get better at them, just to do them for the point.

I am not sure when timed puzzles were started, but I am guessing that competition was much less stiff for the points than it is nowadays. Expanding the points would be encouraging people to try to improve. What might also be worthy of consideration is bonus points (as a once-off) once certain time barriers have been broken.

Posted on: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Ok, I've changed it now as follows:

1: 5 points
2 and 3: 4 points
4-10: 3 points
11-25: 2 points
> 25: 1 point

How's that?

Edit: I'll need some help translating the relevant text at http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/timed_rankings/en/world/8
to Japanese, Russian, and Chinese, volunteers welcome [thumbup]

Posted on: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 am

pnm wrote:
Ok, I've changed it now as follows:

1: 5 points
2 and 3: 4 points
4-10: 3 points
11-25: 2 points
> 25: 1 point

The new points structure appears to be in place, but when you click on yesterday's best times, it's still showing the old points structure. Just a minor point, but it's an inconsistency that might cause confusion among those who don't visit the forum.

Posted on: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am

paulv66 wrote:
The new points structure appears to be in place, but when you click on yesterday's best times, it's still showing the old points structure. Just a minor point, but it's an inconsistency that might cause confusion among those who don't visit the forum.

Yes, thanks, it's on my to-do list for today [smile]

(couldn't change it yesterday because then it also would be incorrect [wink] )

edit: should be fixed now. Even my terrible 1.13 for the 6x6 yesterday got me 2 points [lol]

Posted on: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 pm

I like this new points structure. I haven't managed a top 10 in the 8x8 since the new point structure came into play, but it's nice to get a bonus point for finishing just outside the top ten. I did my best ever 4x4 today (14.058 seconds) and I'm currently lying 25th, but extremely unlikely to get a bonus point as I figure top 25 will be around 3 seconds faster by the end of the day.

My ambition is to have a 7 point day - top 10 in the 8x8 and top 25 in the 5x5 or 6x6. These are within the bounds of possibility (just about) based on my best times.

Posted on: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:53 pm

paulv66 wrote:
I like this new points structure. I haven't managed a top 10 in the 8x8 since the new point structure came into play, but it's nice to get a bonus point for finishing just outside the top ten. I did my best ever 4x4 today (14.058 seconds) and I'm currently lying 25th, but extremely unlikely to get a bonus point as I figure top 25 will be around 3 seconds faster by the end of the day.

My ambition is to have a 7 point day - top 10 in the 8x8 and top 25 in the 5x5 or 6x6. These are within the bounds of possibility (just about) based on my best times.

I only managed 4 points yesterday as I got stuck in the 8x8 and eventually finished 26th! I got stuck again today and was even slower, so I may suffer a similar fate. On the plus side, I did my 6th best 5x5 and am currently inside the top 25, but there's still 7 hours to go, so I'll probably be outside the top 25 by close of play.

The new points structure definitely makes things more interesting!

Posted on: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 pm

paulv66 wrote:
I only managed 4 points yesterday as I got stuck in the 8x8 and eventually finished 26th! I got stuck again today and was even slower, so I may suffer a similar fate. On the plus side, I did my 6th best 5x5 and am currently inside the top 25, but there's still 7 hours to go, so I'll probably be outside the top 25 by close of play.

The new points structure definitely makes things more interesting!

I had a brain fart / blind spot yesterday on my 8 x 8. I do not think I will ever have a 6 or 7 pt day, but I like the new pt structure. I am hoping that I will have a lot of 5 pt days.

My times on the 4 x 4s, 5 x 5s, and 6 x 6s are not even close to being in the top 25. But my 8 x 8 times are fairly good.

Todays (Thur's) Update:
I got my 5th best time on the 6 x 6. I was 26 on the list. Oh well.
I should get an extra point due to the 8 x 8

Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next