View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Extremely difficult 8x8 today 

Posted on: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Post Extremely difficult 8x8 today
I found today's 8x8 very difficult indeed. Sometimes I mess up when doing the 8x8 and have to start over again, but today's puzzle was just one of those puzzles that it was extremely difficult to get a hook into. It felt to me that it was much tougher than it should have been.

I took a screenshot which I'm happy to share if someone can tell me how to do this. I know there are several different puzzles of each size each day, so you probably had a different puzzle to me. But I'd be interested to know if anyone else really struggled with today's puzzle.

Posted on: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 am

Post Re: Extremely difficult 8x8 today
Was that the 8x8 Difficult that's the 0-7 grid puzzle ? I often struggle with the 0-7 but I don't recall getting stuck for too long on this one. Usually I get it to a "trial & error stage" but try as hard as I can to solve it with strategy.

Posted on: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 am

ineedaname wrote:
Was that the 8x8 Difficult that's the 0-7 grid puzzle ? I often struggle with the 0-7 but I don't recall getting stuck for too long on this one. Usually I get it to a "trial & error stage" but try as hard as I can to solve it with strategy.

Thanks for replying. No, it was a standard 8x8 timed, but I found it much more difficult than usual. I was just surprised that I would find a timed puzzle so difficult to solve. It took me over twenty minutes. I've been slower on occasion, but usually due to either being interrupted or due to going too fast and making mistakes early on. This one was a struggle throughout.

Posted on: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:48 am

My bad, I just noticed it was posted under timed. I've had a few 8x8's that I've stuffed up & had to start again & from memory 2-3 I've just bailed on as couldn't get it. I thought i'd stuffed todays but luckily i'd got one cell entered wrong way around & it flowed back nicely by reversing top 2 rows. Ended up over 11 mins but thought i'd be starting again.

Posted on: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:07 pm

paulv66 wrote:
I took a screenshot which I'm happy to share if someone can tell me how to do this. I know there are several different puzzles of each size each day, so you probably had a different puzzle to me. But I'd be interested to know if anyone else really struggled with today's puzzle.

Yes, you were the only one solving that particular puzzle yesterday [omg]

It has appeared 23 times so far, since June 2015.

Out of those, 4 people didn't finish the puzzle.

The three fastest solvers for it were:
eutaxy, 4 minutes 22.644
clm, 5 minutes 19.058
bram, 6 minutes 6.848

Posted on: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks Patrick.

I find I tend to approach the timed puzzles differently to non timed and I'm inclined to rush a bit, rather than go through them logically step by step. I guess that can lead to having to restart puzzles from time to time and I then generally go slowly and use the bold function as I know I'm probably not going to be in the top 25 and just solving it becomes the priority.

It's been happening a lot lately, so I probably need to reevaluate my approach to the 8x8s.

Cheers
Paul

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]