View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 8x8 timed puzzle, why only one chance? 

Posted on: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Post 8x8 timed puzzle, why only one chance?
Am curious as to why we only get 1 chance to do the 8x8 timed whereas we get 4 tries at the other three......how about 2 tries at the 8x8 (or does this require too much more programming).

Posted on: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 am

Post Re: 8x8 timed puzzle
beaker wrote:
Am curious as to why we only get 1 chance to do the 8x8 timed whereas we get 4 tries at the other three......how about 2 tries at the 8x8 (or does this require too much more programming).

No, adding another attempt is trivial.

I'll probably have to double the number of puzzles in the "pool" (but that's a one-time run of a few hours).

I kinda like the thrill of having only one chance though [scared]

Posted on: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Post Re: 8x8 timed puzzle
I remember a non subscriber asking about this also.
That person wanted to do the 8 x 8 timed puzzles, and thought Patrick should allow subrscribers more chances at the 8 x 8, while allowing non subscribers at least one chance.

I agree with Patrick about the thrill of one chance. If you allow subscribers more than one chance, the top 25 places will be dominated by the best of the speedsters. They will get even more points, while it will be harder for many of us to even break into the 25, as opposed to the top 10.

Site Admin

Posted on: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 am

Post Re: 8x8 timed puzzle, why only one chance?
pnm edit: moved the topic from "Calcudoku General" to "Timed Puzzles",
changed subject: added "why only one chance?"
and moved recent (June 2020) reply about the 8x8 top 25 to the relevant thread

Posted on: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:17 am

I personally wouldn’t be in favour of adding a second chance at the 8x8. I find it hard enough to get a top 25 as it is!

Posted on: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:29 pm

My original post of 2018 was only meant to garner responses from other users........I really do not want a second try at the 8x8 timed.......one is more than enough........besides there are other 8x8's one gets to do during the week.......I find it funny that when the stress is off and doing the weekly 8x8's that my times are usually quite good but when the stress is felt doing the timed one, I will miss key in my rush to get in all the numbers and then have to spend precious seconds, which usually amounts to minutes to find the incorrect number(s) as, for me, there is usually 2 or more ( if I am lucky there will be only one or none at all)......speaking of which, I best start looking at today's timed puzzles soon [smile] while [cursing]

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]