View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 practicing 4x4 timed 

Posted on: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:41 am

Post practicing 4x4 timed
I have got to stop practicing doing the 4 4x4 timed puzzles......as there is really no point as I cannot get below 15sec [lol]

pnm edit: moved to new thread from "Calcudoku.org 20 Million Solved Puzzles Analysis"

Posted on: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 am

Post Re: Calcudoku.org 20 Million Solved Puzzles Analysis
Beaker,
I can get under 15 sec, but that doesnt make you fast enough to gain more than the participation point.

I do it for the participation point.

Those speedsters just keep getting faster .

Posted on: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 am

Post Re: Calcudoku.org 20 Million Solved Puzzles Analysis
I do too, but maybe by doing all 4 every day, I should stop and only do one and maybe help to extend the time before the 20 mill......just a thought and probably a stupid one [lol]

Posted on: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:13 am

Post Re: practicing 4x4 timed
Keep plugging away Beaker, There is always that one time when it all comes together & flows beautifully. I'm no hope of extra points in the timed puzzles so only ever did one a day to get the participation point. The other day I did the 4x4 medium & cracked 10 seconds for the first time I can recall in either daily or timed. I took this as a sign to have a crack at more than 1 4x4 & lo & behold I set my best time of just over 10 secs (still trying for the elusive timed under 10) which was nearly a second better than my previous best (now my 2nd best). So i'd encourage you to keep at it, You never know what lies ahead. There's always that miracle run just like my 5x5 where I usually do around the minute mark but my best is 18 seconds !!!! Now that was a time when all the stars & planets lined up for me & i'm sure it'll happen to you too one day.

Posted on: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks for the encouragement.......but I doubt that my 75 year old knuckles have the dexterity they once had......some times I can look at one of the 4x4's and instantly recognize where all the numbers have to go and yet when I am finished, I am looking at a 20+ sec time......but I will continue to try.
Well, today I finally got under 15 sec with a 13.52.....best yet......but compared to the top 10, moving like a sloth, snail, sea anemone or a mountain glacier (yes they do move but you need a time lapse camera to catch all the ACTION) [smile]

Posted on: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:41 am

Well done Beaker, Now on wards to a sub 10 (just don't beat me to get it lol). I've posted a few times over the years that i'd like to see a handicap system for timed puzzles to give us slow pokes a chance but it never went anywhere. Would be great if the timed were like Golf & even the Sunday hacker had a chance to beat Tiger Woods on handicap.

Posted on: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Not sure a sub 10 would be possible as the old heart beat went way up during and after the successful puzzle action.......a "golf-like-handicap" for timed puzzles .......a great suggestion but would the speedsters like it if pnm considered it [smile]

Posted on: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:20 pm

beaker wrote:
Not sure a sub 10 would be possible as the old heart beat went way up during and after the successful puzzle action.......a "golf-like-handicap" for timed puzzles .......a great suggestion but would the speedsters like it if pnm considered it [smile]

I think we discussed this before, not sure how this would work,
i.e. how to calculate the handicap, how to prevent "gaming the system" etc..

Posted on: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:22 am

The speedsters can still have their "scratch" times as it currently is but also listed would be your handicap ranking (todays time less handicap = nett score). My thinking would be your handicap for the day is either your top 65% time or your 3 best time (Perhaps a minimum number of timed puzzles or time as a registered player e.g. 3 months or 200 puzzles to be done before you get a handicap. Gaming the system I'm not sure how you get a round it but perhaps the length of time or # of puzzles to be done before entry criteria may help. Perhaps make it for no point so "gamers / cheaters" get no points & its just for daily bragging rights, Although that defeats the original reason of it to give everyone an even playing field. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on it.

Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]