View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 TIMED PUZZLES WITH 2 SAME NUMBERS IN ONE PUZZLE 

Posted on: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:37 am

Post TIMED PUZZLES WITH 2 SAME NUMBERS IN ONE PUZZLE
Not sure where this fits but just ran into 2 6x6 timed puzzles: ONE HAD DOUBLE 3'S AND THE OTHER HAD DOUBLE 4'S......WHAT HAPPENED???? [confused]

Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:40 pm

Post Re: TIMED PUZZLES WITH 2 SAME NUMBERS IN ONE PUZZLE
beaker wrote:
Not sure where this fits but just ran into 2 6x6 timed puzzles: ONE HAD DOUBLE 3'S AND THE OTHER HAD DOUBLE 4'S......WHAT HAPPENED???? [confused]

Do you mean that a solution was accepted when two 3's in the same row/column?

Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:32 pm

No.......when new puzzle appeared there were 2 caged 3's meaning that because of 2nd 3 another number was missing and hence could not solve puzzle so deleted it, then new puzzle appeared with same situation but with cages 4's.......or am I missing something obvious ( possibly the latter as I had never seen such an arrangement)
Yes, having checked a 5x5 timed puzzle I have concluded I must have been half asleep......please erase all these notes as there is only one problem and that would be me......cannot believe I posted something so STUPID.......sorry for taking up your time (very embarrassing)

Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:47 pm

beaker wrote:
No.......when new puzzle appeared there were 2 caged 3's meaning that because of 2nd 3 another number was missing and hence could not solve puzzle so deleted it, then new puzzle appeared with same situation but with cages 4's.......or am I missing something obvious ( possibly the latter as I had never seen such an arrangement)
Yes, having checked a 5x5 timed puzzle I have concluded I must have been half asleep......please erase all these notes as there is only one problem and that would be me......cannot believe I posted something so STUPID.......sorry for taking up your time (very embarrassing)

The rest of the solvers must think I've lost it......just a momentary lapse in a 78 year old brain.......hoping that does not occur again

Posted on: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:11 am

Don't worry about it, the "puzzle blindness" is very common,
for young and old people alike [lol]

Posted on: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:03 am

Thank you, PNM....good for laugh anyways :-)

Posted on: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:52 am

pnm wrote:

Beaker, I’m almost ten years younger than you and it happens to me on a regular basis. I get an idea into my head that there’s only one possible solution for a particular cage and I go round in circles trying to solve the puzzle and getting stuck over and over again.

If it’s early enough in the day and I have time to abandon the puzzle and start again from scratch a few hours later, I sometimes discover my error and manage to solve the puzzle. But if it happens late in the day when I’m under time pressure, I’ve no chance.

Posted on: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:23 am

Thanks for your experience....nice to know others experience this kind of thing.

Posted on: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:46 pm

pnm wrote:

Indeed. It's just a fact of life (or at least of puzzling) that even if you're very experienced you'll occasionally get very basic things wrong. Sometimes (though rarely) even pro chess players make horrible blunders that immediately make the commentary team cry out in horror :-)

paulv66 wrote:
I get an idea into my head that there’s only one possible solution for a particular cage and I go round in circles trying to solve the puzzle and getting stuck over and over again.

(Very embarrassing) case in point: I somehow convinced myself early on when solving today's difficult killer that the 13 cage in the upper left corner had to be 7+5 [scared] (that is, 7+1+4 or 7+2+3). Luckily it didn't take me too long to discover that error because I soon ran into contradictions.

At one point after I'd started from scratch (and avoided the initial error) I reached a partial solution that seemed inescapable to me. But no matter how meticulously I tested every possible continuation from there, the puzzle ended up with two 6s in the middle column [confused] so I had to start from scratch once again and be even more careful this time. Of course it turned out that my partial solution wasn't inescapable after all. The puzzle was quite tricky but I managed to solve it in the end [smile]

beaker wrote:
Thanks for your experience....nice to know others experience this kind of thing.

We all do, beaker, we all do …

Posted on: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:15 pm

Thank you, Bram

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]