View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Timed Puzzles 

Posted on: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:06 am

Post Re: Timed Puzzles
rickt wrote:
Another thing from perusing the various statistics is that it appears that over 650 people complete one or more regular puzzles daily (or last 7 days) but only about 10% of that amount even bother to do timed puzzles. Of that 60 or so that do timed puzzles, the same 20 or so manage to garner more than the minimum 1 point allotted for merely completing a timed puzzle on a regular basis. I would have to conclude from this that timed puzzles are overvalued in the total scheme of things on this wonderful site that Patrick has built. An interesting oddity much like the Rubic cube speed solving craze back in the day. This is not to diminish the accomplishments of skilled puzzle speedsters, but merely to put a perspective on the weighting of points allotted for this particular skill.

I think the number of points allotted is already at a low profile. I mean, compared with the 10 points per puzzle for finishing first place back in the day. (I've gotten 30 points before... but I think that was before shel came on the scene.) Now, I can get about 60 points a week... but anyone who just does three timed puzzles can get 21 points a week. It's not very much difference. And a lot of those other 20 people get even less.

I'm not sure I understand the analogy with the speedcubing very well. Btw, you spelled Rubik's cube wrong.

Posted on: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:18 am

sneaklyfox wrote:

I think the number of points allotted is already at a low profile. I mean, compared with the 10 points per puzzle for finishing first place back in the day. (I've gotten 30 points before... but I think that was before shel came on the scene.) Now, I can get about 60 points a week... but anyone who just does three timed puzzles can get 21 points a week. It's not very much difference. And a lot of those other 20 people get even less.

I'm not sure I understand the analogy with the speedcubing very well. Btw, you spelled Rubik's cube wrong.

There was one week where I got 189 timed points under the old system, and then one week where I got 96 under the new system.

Then, of course, sheldolina had to go and get consistent with her times, and now I get maybe 1/3 of the first places. Maybe.

Posted on: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Wasn't around for all the history of timed puzzle point allocation model but as it currently stands, I can't see how it is equitable that someone can gain over 100 pts. Last 7 days doing speed puzzles whereas doing 7 difficult 12x12's book puzzles from the new subscription book only gains 10 x 7 = 70 points. Guess it is "apples and oranges" .....Sorry to disparage ol Mr. Rubik by spelling his name incorrectly! [biggrin]

Posted on: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm

rickt wrote:
Wasn't around for all the history of timed puzzle point allocation model but as it currently stands, I can't see how it is equitable that someone can gain over 100 pts. Last 7 days doing speed puzzles whereas doing 7 difficult 12x12's book puzzles from the new subscription book only gains 10 x 7 = 70 points. Guess it is "apples and oranges" .....Sorry to disparage ol Mr. Rubik by spelling his name incorrectly! [biggrin]

I think shel deserves to get those 100 points, being as fast as she is. It's certainly not easy to be fast like that. 12x12 on the site gains 16 points. So the number of points seems fine as 7 of those would be 112 points although that's not really available (we only get 12x12 twice a week). And it makes sense for the book puzzles not to be worth as much because it's only available to those who pay money and we don't want to give the "rich" people an unfair advantage just because they can pay for books either. Anyway, what's there to complain about? Neither sheldolina nor starling (#1 and #2 for timed puzzles) do all the normal daily puzzles so you're way ahead of them on the rankings.

Posted on: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:12 am

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this pt. No biggie... [biggrin]

Posted on: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 pm

I guess I tend to see it this way because I can do all the normal daily puzzles or book puzzles... they may be hard, but doing a 4x4 around 5 seconds consistently right now is not just hard. It's impossible.

But yeah, we can always agree to disagree. [smile]

Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6