View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:06 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Timed Puzzle Bonus 

Posted on: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 am

Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
Sneaklyfox, sorry for taking so long to respond, I'm in England on vacation, and so I can't really work puzzles and am posting this from an iPod touch. Anyhow, sorry if I come off as snobbish, it just seems like times should be blind as to who records them. If someone did 4x4 after 4x4 in under 5 seconds and thought I was slow, I'd gladly accept that, and take fewer points. And yes, I did say I was going to do all the untimed at one point, but I can't quite yet because I can work puzzles right now at all. As for my age, I'm 18, which I realize is a bit of an advantage speedwise.
As for the point that this seems in favor of my own interests, it seems just as much, though, that everyone who wants fewer timed points doesn't score as much from them. Pretty much all of us are self-serving in this particular case.

In a general sense, I think a separation of the points into untimed, including bonus and book, timed, and combined would be good. It would also allow for a balance to be struck in terms of total points from timed and untimed.

As for the earlier suggestion to include the second and third best times in the daily rankings, it would be a start, I guess, it just seems more for show than for actual value.

And sorry that everything isn't as reasoned out as I usually make it; oncemore, this is from an iPod touch, so typing isn't exactly fluid.

Posted on: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:10 am

Yeah, I figured you were on vacation. England... wow that's nice. I'll be on vacation myself in a few weeks (as you'll probably notice when it happens).

I guess you weren't really being snobbish. It just sounded like it. :P And even if you were, you kind of had a right to be haha. ;)

I thought 18-ish would be a good age for ideal synaptic reflex speed (or whatever you want to call it). Lucky you... I wish I were still 18 (when it comes to doing calcudoku, that is!) I think after the age of 22 or so, cells that die don't regenerate as efficiently anymore.

Posted on: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Yeah, I figured you were on vacation. England... wow that's nice. I'll be on vacation myself in a few weeks (as you'll probably notice when it happens).

I guess you weren't really being snobbish. It just sounded like it. :P And even if you were, you kind of had a right to be haha. ;)

I thought 18-ish would be a good age for ideal synaptic reflex speed (or whatever you want to call it). Lucky you... I wish I were still 18 (when it comes to doing calcudoku, that is!) I think after the age of 22 or so, cells that die don't regenerate as efficiently anymore.

I seem to remember the article on regeneration of brain cells I read being specific to adult brain cells. That said, I also remember you being right about the whole synaptic reflexes thing, even if the cell regeneration may run in your favor, or at least equally. So what approximately is the average age here, then? I had been assuming an IQR around 25 to 45, though a bit top heavy. That seen a bit low, though, now.

Posted on: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:18 am

70 next birthday - me. probably why I don't like the timed puzzles.

Posted on: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 am

Just making this whole bonus thing seem a bit less selfish: From yesterday, a 7.96 4x4 (Hopingcc), 20.698 5x5 (pnm), and 35.807 6x6 (Alex) would have put you in second on those 3 sizes, all because I had a really good day and recorded a 6.506, 19.228, and 27.661 respectively. Now, on a normal day, those 3 times would have been good for 10 points each, even over my averages. But because I happened to have a good day, they get 8 instead. I guess these are just really unfortunate coincidences, but it just seems unfortunate for them.

Posted on: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 am

starling wrote:
Just making this whole bonus thing seem a bit less selfish: From yesterday, a 7.96 4x4 (Hopingcc), 20.698 5x5 (pnm), and 35.807 6x6 (Alex) would have put you in second on those 3 sizes, all because I had a really good day and recorded a 6.506, 19.228, and 27.661 respectively. Now, on a normal day, those 3 times would have been good for 10 points each, even over my averages. But because I happened to have a good day, they get 8 instead. I guess these are just really unfortunate coincidences, but it just seems unfortunate for them.

It was!! I was shocked, especially by the 27.661 for a 6x6 ... :shock:

Posted on: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:53 am

I am one of the slower solvers (I compare my times with the top posted 5 times for the daily puzzles) but I do get alot of them done......I tried a timed puzzle once and didn't do well.......so, I'm really not in favour of extra points for the "speed demons" (once in a while when all the grey cells are clicking and the puzzle fits my brain patterns, I will beat the top 5 times) :mrgreen: (go GL) :mrgreen:
I also rank in the "older group' (67 in Oct).....I'm trying to keep up with extra Vitamin E....hoping that it works :!: :!: :!:

Last edited by beaker on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:21 am

Some people are just good under pressure. I'm not really one of those. I solve pretty fast but I know a lot of people can solve faster because part of my brain is distracted, thinking, "I'm too slow! I'm too slow!"

Anyway, tomorrow I go on vacation so someone else gets a chance to be Rank #1 in the World. :D

Posted on: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Wooohoooooooooo I beat sneaklyfox in 6x6 today
A new personal record 1:00.612

And .... without cheating :D

Posted on: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:25 am

fb_1124 wrote:
Wooohoooooooooo I beat sneaklyfox in 6x6 today
A new personal record 1:00.612

And .... without cheating :D

Great job! :D But why's everyone comparing to me, eh?

Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next