View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Timed Puzzle Bonus 

Posted on: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:05 am

Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
sneaklyfox wrote:
fb_1124 wrote:
Wooohoooooooooo I beat sneaklyfox in 6x6 today
A new personal record 1:00.612

And .... without cheating :D

Great job! :D But why's everyone comparing to me, eh?

Right??? Whats up with starling?? There must be something wrong w/ his brain. No human could consistently post the scores he's getting on those timed puzzles!

Posted on: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:33 pm

picklepep wrote:
Right??? Whats up with starling?? There must be something wrong w/ his brain. No human could consistently post the scores he's getting on those timed puzzles!

Hahaha. If that were true, then logically (as any Vulcan would tell you) starling is an alien.

Posted on: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:44 am

picklepep wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
fb_1124 wrote:
Wooohoooooooooo I beat sneaklyfox in 6x6 today
A new personal record 1:00.612

And .... without cheating :D

Great job! :D But why's everyone comparing to me, eh?

I still contend Sheldolina's 5.476 is much more ridiculous than my 14.611 or 27.661. Like, typing as fast as I can, I still don't think I'll pass 6.0 anywhere in the near future.

Posted on: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:58 am

starling wrote:
I still contend Sheldolina's 5.476 is much more ridiculous than my 14.611 or 27.661. Like, typing as fast as I can, I still don't think I'll pass 6.0 anywhere in the near future.

I'm thinking the only way to get around 6 seconds is to get lucky: all the cages
are of the type where you instantly know the answer, _and_ you guess the correct sequence.

Posted on: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:23 pm

pnm wrote:
starling wrote:

I'm thinking the only way to get around 6 seconds is to get lucky: all the cages
are of the type where you instantly know the answer, _and_ you guess the correct sequence.

I didn't guess :P Well, I still don't understand how I did it myself too. :P But I think starling's 14.611 is more ridiculous, most days I don't even get a 5x5 time under 30.0. :$

Posted on: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

I have seen Sheldolina completing a 4x4 under 8 seconds several times (yes, we're close). Under 6 seconds might seem close to a miracle.
But if you're able to type texts with over 350 strokes/minute with very few typos, like her, then you might understand better (I'm happy with 250, but never got into the top-5 for any timed puzzle...)

By the way, getting back to the age issue in this post, I'm 40, Sheldolina is 13.

Posted on: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:29 pm

Sorry to be a late arrival to this discussion. Changes to the timed puzzle bonus are already in effect, but since others are in the works I thought I would chime in.

I think the one change made so far - awarding points for the top 20 solvers each day - could be a good enhancement, upping the participation levels on the timed puzzles. If it _doesn't_ increase participation, I might lobby for reducing the number of 1-pointers. It will be pretty discouraging to be one of a very small number that misses out on the points on any given day.

Are there ever days when fewer than 21 people finish puzzles at a given level? If so, everyone's a winner and I'm not sure that's right either. Then again, the regular 4x4 puzzles award a point or two no matter what. Maybe the timed puzzles should be worth at least a point no matter where a person finishes.

As for the top scores, pnm was considering 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 for the top 10. I think 5 for a 1st place finish compared to 1 for a 20th diminishes the worth of a top score too much. Maybe 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2? I say this as a guy who has broken the top 5 only once or twice - and even then I think some of the real speed demons were taking the day off - so I'm not really looking to pad my numbers when I suggest this.

Posted on: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:45 am

pnm wrote:
starling wrote:

And see, I had one today where I'm pretty sure I had 13 of the 16 squares filled in by the 4 second mark and then had to pause to figure out those last 3 and it pushed me up to 7.7 seconds. I feel like you basically for any of the upper times in any of the dimensions can't afford to do anything wrong, especially pause.

Unrelated, I am human. Thought I should point that out. Though people who have met me in real life have drawn the same conclusion about my humanity, partly because I'm a little socially weird. Also, I find it interesting that Sheldolina is 13, just because it sort of supports sneaklyfox's theory, even though there's the small sample size. Now if we can find out hopingcc's age, since (Gender neutral third person pronoun which doesn't exist in English here) also has recorded an absurd time on a 4x4 now.

Also, I find the texting theory interesting, since it seems to be a further explanation for the gap which exists, since I'm a moderately fast texter too. I've never actually measured in strokes per minute, but still...

Posted on: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 am

You can measure it here: http://speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/

I'm not able to type blind and use the 'two fingers' style: 240 in English and 290 in native language.

Posted on: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:13 pm

fb_1124 wrote:
You can measure it here: http://speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/

I'm not able to type blind and use the 'two fingers' style: 240 in English and 290 in native language.

Ok, I got 529 on that test. But that's a weird test... for one, you're typing unrelated words so it's not like a sentence which is faster, and also I had to pause every time when it was changing to another set of words (or the next page). Another question I have: do people like Sheldolina and starling use the num pad?

Yeah, I wonder what hopingcc's age is. I'm 30.

Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next